Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Power Steering Fluid Cooler?

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  jcv22jr 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever had a power steering fluid cooler fail? Is it a common thing on TB's? Why would the cooler fail on a cold start in 25 degrees temp?

When I started (cold start) my 02 TB LT, what I thought was the typical fan clutch noise, it was in addition to my typical fan clutch noise my power steering pump running empty (I think?). I looked under for leaks and found that the power steering fluid had all drained at that moment from one end of the hose (I guess where it connects to the cooler) and checked the fluid level, it was all foamy and recently drained.

Last question, does a power steering component usually make the same noise, as I described above, on really cold starts (< 25 degrees) that usually last for 3-5 seconds immediately after starting? If it's not supposed to then I guess I was ignoring the first signs of a now-$650 problem for the past 3 winters. Live and learn...

Thanks in advance for all the help guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.