How to replace water pump (pics) - Page 36 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > The 02-09 "How-To" and DIY Section

The 02-09 "How-To" and DIY Section Threads on Do-It-Yourself and How-To goes here.

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:56 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Helpful hint for water pump replacement

I just replace the water pump and fan clutch on my 2002 TB with 193,000 miles yesterday. When screwing the new pump on, you might want to replace the 5 10mm screws with new ones. I broke 2 off when torquing them in (89 ft/lbs).

The 5 bolts were $1.09 at my local Ace Hardware and well worth the hassle of drilling out and removing the broken bolts with a broken bolt removal tool which I had to do.

Other than that, this write up pretty much hits the nail on the head for someone doing this for the first time. I took me 3 hours to do, 1 1/2 of those was spent running around getting tools to remove my broken bolts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2016, 05:51 PM

2009 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
The torque spec is 89 pound/inches, not lbs/ft. Less than 8 lbs/ft.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:03 PM

TRAILBALAZER Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Water Pump

I own the 2005 Trailblazer LT 4.2L the water pump pulley is stuck or rusted to the water pump shaft. How can it be removed??? Help please

Old 11-28-2016, 08:09 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Dark Green Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthm7 View Post
I own the 2005 Trailblazer LT 4.2L the water pump pulley is stuck or rusted to the water pump shaft. How can it be removed??? Help please

Replace the pulley. It shouldn't be more than 10-12$
Old 01-11-2017, 01:36 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silver Mist Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Thanks for the write up, but I couldn't break the fan clutch nut using the wrench and hammer method. Mine slipped due to coolant on the pulleys and belt. After I cleaned both, it still wouldn't bust, but turn the engine over.

I found this method and it worked really well.

chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/how-remove-fan-clutch-without-fan-clutch-tool-55707/

I used the free end of a ratchet strap and taped it to the clean water pump pulley and hooked it to the lift point just above and to the right. I wound the strap up on the pulley and ad it held really well. It was a cinch to bust then nut.

I've changed the pump once before on my truck and used a big breaker bar and some wire cable to hold. This was much easier.

Enjoy!
Old 01-25-2017, 07:58 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Water Pump Replaced; Won't start/turn over to leak test

Long-time lurker, first time poster. Excellent instructions, and I agree with the hit-or-miss response to loaner tools. Thanks so much!

05' 4.2L TB 110K miles

I'd been putting off this repair for some time and finally got around to it, and finally got that damn clutch nut freed. When my coworkers asked me what I did over the weekend, I was this close to telling them "trying to bust a nut" but figured that'd land me in HR.

After replacing the water pump, I wanted to run a basic leak test before embarking on the Fan Shroud Adventure. Battery is also starting to go, but I've got a jumpbox, and it does hold enough of a charge to not reset the clock.

When I go to start it, it doesn't attempt to turn over and is just a short electical whine. No clicking, etc. Did my ignition switch fail at the worst possible time? What else could it possibly be?

Also, how much coolant did y'all pour into the radiator cap before starting, or did you let the pump run dry to pull it through the reservoir? I know that might be a dumb question but didn't see a mention of it in the thread.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:18 PM

trailblazer lt Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
what type gasket sealer

2005 trailblazer. I have new water pump and what looks like a rubber/metal gasket. should I be using a sealer? what type? I also read a lot of posts about replacing water pump bolts...is that the case usually?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
how to

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.