Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Resonator delete on the cheap-I6 4.2

34K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  brandon22 
#1 ·
I was planning on just going to a muffler shop (Top Gun) and having them cut it off and put on a cheap stainless 3" tip and short pipe but when they qouted me $75 bucks I decided to do it myself. They sold me a 5 foot section of used pipe for $5 and I finished it in about 2 hours saving $70 and 11lbs w/ a hand from a little helper :)

Tools:
Sawzall
Chop saw (optional)
Jack stands or whatever (to hold pipe up)
Angle grinder
Welder
Paint/tape/paper or plastic cover up

:woot:
It's a noticable increase in sound if your listening for it but still domesticated enough to stay low key :thumbsup:

See less See more
#3 ·
If I would have paid the extra $2,600 and got 4X4, mine would have a little mud on it for sure. I'm still kickin myself for not getting it when I had the chance. TB's look pretty good lifted.

#20 ·
Sometimes the sound on these videos or any for that matter leave a lot to be desired. If you are going to have a shop do the work, get them to start the truck for you once the old resonator has been cut off and judge from there. No matter what you do in the way of mufflers or anything of the like it will never give you a sound close to a V8. :m2:

#21 ·
Like mypetropig said you will never get that throaty sound without swapping to the 6.0L. I have cut the resonator off and added a straight pipe with a tip and I am happy with the look and sound. As you will read, many members often complain about the cabin drone between 1700rpm and 2000rpm once they swap their stock muffler with an aftermarket one.

#22 ·
I recently tossed on a Flowmaster 40 series delta flow muffler on my 02' Envoy and considered have the silencer/resonator taken off like what you had done as well.

1) Do you have the silencer cut off and an after market muffler? If so, does it sound good, yet within a legal range for how loud it is?

2) Same as #1 but without the aftermarket muffler.

#24 ·
I have a stock exhaust. The only mod to it is the resonator delete. It is within the legal limit and there is not much cabin drone at all. It definitley improves the look of the vehicle too. I have actually been debating on adding the 40 series as well. I can tell a difference in sound since I have cut the resonator off, I am hoping if I add the 40 series it will sound even better without sounding like a ricer. I am sure you will need to cut to resonator off to get better sound out of your 40 series. If you decide to do it let me know how it sounds.

#26 ·
flowmaster 40 series

I would highly recommend the 40 series delta flow muffler It will drone a good amount around 2000 rpm when the engine is cold but after it warms up it mild's out a little more. If you got the windows down, it sounds pretty sweet in my opinion. Now, it won't be giving you a muscle car sound but it wont't be giving a ricer sound either. It's a nice middle ground for sound and the sound level is perfect. Have not cut the resonator off the back of the truck just yet.

#27 ·
i know this doesn't compare to the sound of the 4.2 i6, but on my s10 blazer I had a flowmaster 40 series (knock off since they let their patent run out) but it sounds pretty nice, very loud for the first 30 seconds at start up, until warm air hits it, but I definitely noticed the drone at 1700-2k rpm. wonder if a 50 series would be different.

#28 ·
Haven't been on in a while but a months ago, I cute off the resonator. Definitely makes the truck louder! I am running the 40 series with a resonator delete also with a 3" tip off the back. I had it all welded together (no clamps) and I think it sounds pretty good for an I6.

Attachments

#30 ·
Nova good write up. Removing my resonator soon. I just need to be careful with the German inspection mafia's!.....decibel limit is 94.

My TB sounds like crap right now. Got a new muffler and will install exactly what you did with your resonator deleted. Awesome pics and write up....makes my mod and life easier.......

#31 ·
Nova
Thanks finally had some time to cutoff my resonator here in Germany. Will be looking for a shop to weld a straight pipe out towards the side like yours does.

QUOTE=70Nova SS;1146472]I was planning on just going to a muffler shop (Top Gun) and having them cut it off and put on a cheap stainless 3" tip and short pipe but when they qouted me $75 bucks I decided to do it myself. They sold me a 5 foot section of used pipe for $5 and I finished it in about 2 hours saving $70 and 11lbs w/ a hand from a little helper :)

Tools:
Sawzall
Chop saw (optional)
Jack stands or whatever (to hold pipe up)
Angle grinder
Welder
Paint/tape/paper or plastic cover up

:woot:
It's a noticable increase in sound if your listening for it but still domesticated enough to stay low key :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.