Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Won't Start, need some help...

32K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  sse1990 
#1 ·
I need some help here ASAP...

The engine won't start, doesn't even respond to being jumped. Bought a new battery, now the radio, lights window etc. all work fine, but the engine doesn't even make an effort to turn over. I checked all the fuses and didn't see that looked blown...

Is this an ignition switch problem? Or something else?

#2 ·
you said the engine does not turn over .. as in it wont start or it wont crank?

IF it cranksbut wont start, that narrows it down.

IF it wont crank, does the lights dim when you try to crank it and do you hear a "click" under the hood at the same time? If you answered yes to either of these, based on year of your truck I would say the starter is frozen / stuck ..

I might be wrong as there are too many things about these trucks I am still learning ..

#5 ·
#12 ·
It will still crank if you need a security learn done. I just went through it when I changed PCM recently.

I have however ran into a situation where I would turn the key to start the truck ( before changing PCM and after too) where I can usually turn the key just enough to say it is in the start position ( not all the way on) and the truck usually cranks. BUT I use my remote starter all the time and I was then able to turn my key on all the way and usually have to hold the key for a second or less and then it finally starts. I have been using my key more often now and it seems to start normally.

#8 ·
#9 ·
I actually had a similar problem happen to me just an hour ago.
i got out of work and tried starting my car and it would crank then stop for a second then crank back up then stop.

I tried that three times until i finally got it to start?

since i had driven it for awhile it starts up normal now but why would it do that?

i had a new Die Hard battery put in about a year ago.

#10 ·
I actually had a similar problem happen to me just an hour ago.
i got out of work and tried starting my car and it would crank then stop for a second then crank back up then stop.

I tried that three times until i finally got it to start?

since i had driven it for awhile it starts up normal now but why would it do that?

i had a new Die Hard battery put in about a year ago.
Didi it crank or just do nothing?

#13 ·
I put my money on Ignition Switch ... welcome to the world of Gm gremlins-
They should know better - real crummy design. When electronics start to go wonky look at the ignition first.

It will migrate all over hells half acre throwing codes in the transmission , killing your dash . locking your key .. on and on...

leave it sit over night - work like nothing has happened and then bang your all over the map again.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=45028

http://forums.trailvoy.com/articles.php?do=viewarticle&artid=91

While your at it clean the throttle body - unbelievable improvement in engine ... lol

Happy 2009 :crazy:

#14 ·
My wife's trailblazer occasionally will not turn over. I've found that the problem is a corroded signal wire to the starter. I think being close to the exhaust manifold (V8) and exposed to road debris has caused this. There is a small gap between the splash guard and the frame in the passenger side wheel well. When it doesn't start I can reach in there and simply wiggle the wire around and it will fire right up when I retry. I have checked the connections on the starter and they are tight. I haven't done anything to fix this problem because the starter looks like a real pain to get to on this vehicle.

#15 ·
cranks but wont start

I have an 03 trilblazer that last thursday just stopped starting, the engine turns over fine, i can hear the fuel pump and all gauges work.It just wont fire
The fuel is low just over the empty line but I have yet to have this problem before.
sometimes it stumbles like its about to fire but doesnt as well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.