Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Trans has slight slip and then clunk at take off.

3K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  Scott89TTA 
#1 ·
When pulling away from a stop or a slow roll like off a a ramp my trans will have a slight delay or slip and then clunk as it grabs. Fluid has been changed and flushed also have the PCMforless tune for towing: removed 50% torque management and stage 2 shift. Didn't really change anything...shifts are not very firm either only a little firmer than stock at WOT only but nothing to write home about. Any ideas what is going on?

#3 ·
Nah fluid level is fine. It did it before and after trans and transfer case fluids were changed/flushed at a very reputable shop. At first it only did it once and a while now almost always...and didn't do it while the trans shop had it, go figure? Almost feels like a real loose converter, if I let off the gas at low speeds and then bring it back slowly I'll get a very short slip before it engages with a little thump. Same thing if i pull away from a stop slowly...if I leave hard not as noticeable.

#5 ·
Pretty sure just 1st gear though my girlfriend has been driving it and I haven't driven it for a while so I'm not 100% on that. As mentioned it seems to do it pulling away from a complete stop or slowing down to almost a complete stop and pulling away which would definitely be in 1st gear. The slip is very short then a clunk...not a full slip where the RPM races up. Kind of reminds me of a car I had years ago with a performance converter and not enough gears...I could feather the gas and make it slip then grab...the clunk after the slip reminds me of a loose universal joint or a sloppy rear differential.

#9 ·
lol...yeah my trans guy said there is a part that typically fails on them that takes out reverse and 1st gear but don't remember what it was? He said it is a poor design / weak part and is a common failure when they get up in miles. My Trailblazer came from my 70 year old mom that babied it for the 1st 75,000 miles or so. I have had it for the last 3 years and put another 30K on it mostly highway drivings to and from work with the addition of towing my car to the track a few times plus towing my car from MD to Ohio and back the Summer before last. That was just after I had the trans and transfer case serviced. That trip over the mountains probably wasn't a great idea but I made it out and back and to my knowledge only downfall was my brakes needed to be replaced shortly afterwards...as they smoked a few times coming down the mountain.

Guess I'm going to have to take it back to my trans guy to check it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.