Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

LS1 Efans issues

4K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  Reedmk2 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I'm a new member here, but have been reading all the great info on the site for a couple of weeks now. I liked the idea of the efans since my fan clutch locked up on me. I bought the LS1 camero fans from Amazon for $144 and wiring kit from PCMforless. I also sent my pcm to PCMforless so they could work their magic on it.

Well, I didn't realize that the kit didn't come with a fan controller so I ordered a flex-i-lite controller. While hooking it up I've ran into 2 problems.

1. The thermostat that the flex-i-lite came with wont read below 8k ohms and fans never cut on from the temperature. I created a short between pins 1o and 11 (I think) to simulate high temp. This worked and the fans ran on high. I left the thermostat connected to my multimeter and and tried another spot on my radiator (both upper left side). Never got a reading below 7.7k ohms.

Anyone know what resistance turns on fans? I did notice that the upper radiator hose was much hotter than the lower one (which wasnt warn at all).

2. While my fans were on high my water temp reading from inside the truck sky rocketed to 210 + 3 more tick marks (about 3/4) and was slowly moving up. http://forums.trailvoy.com/images/smilies/ugh.gif
My truck was sitting halfway in my garage on a cloudy day (approx 77 degrees F)

Has anyone else had cooling problems with LS1 efans?

BTW. I did replace my water pump too. And...during my 1st ops check after buttoning everything up, I notice that I had the truck running before I reconnected the upper radiator hose. http://forums.trailvoy.com/images/smilies/duh.gif

Can this cause some sort of problem due to air bubbles in the motor? Is it a hard fix?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

See less See more
#2 ·
coolant burp/bleed?

I read throught the forum some more. I hope this is the problem. I'm waiting for the TB to cool off then I'm going to back it down the incline driveway with the radiator cap off and let it run for a few. Hope this helps. Maybe that why the flex-i-lite themostat wasnt reading the right temp. Not enough coolant running through? Well fingers crossed.

#3 ·
I read throught the forum some more. I hope this is the problem. I'm waiting for the TB to cool off then I'm going to back it down the incline driveway with the radiator cap off and let it run for a few. Hope this helps. Maybe that why the flex-i-lite themostat wasnt reading the right temp. Not enough coolant running through? Well fingers crossed.
That was it!!!

Poor baby needed to be burped. Yeah me! Everything works as described.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.