Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Power Draw - Cold Start

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  jmedlin6 
#1 ·
Is anyone else having this problem? First off I want to say that I do have a new optima battery, 150 amp alternator (Bearings went bad in my old one), and proper serpentine belt. The problem is (and it was happening before I got the new alternator) when I start my car in the morning and its about 20F it seems to take about 10 - 15 seconds for my charging system to read normal around 14. It would hang around 12 then all of a sudden shoot up. Is this just another wonderful design flaw. It's been doing this all winter but just decided to see if anyone else is having the problem. Once its started it usually doesn't do it the rest of the day. Like I said it only does it when its cold.

#5 ·
This issue has been discussed several times before, both here and on another forum I use to monitor. Seems just about every TB/Envoy seems to do this, at least the ones with an I6 that use the 145a alternator. Most people only really notice that the lights suddenly brighten after a few seconds and don't watch the gages to realize its the voltage level doesn't come up to normal right away in really cold temps. There's just something in the voltage regulation circuitry of these trucks thats slow to come up to normal in cold weather. From what I've seen and read, it appears to be a normal phenomena for our trucks.

#6 ·
I agree.
from previous discussions. this is more apparent on the vehicles with the AIR PUM
it appears that the alternator on the TV do not turn on immideately. It takes a few seconds for them to start putting out juice.
This appears to be more prevalent in cold weather areas and those with the AIR PUMP.
since the alternator is not yet active- the AIR pump is drawing power from the battery- which is already in a degraded mode simply because its really cold. when the alternator comes on- you see that spike- and the AIR pump had also shut off.

#7 · (Edited)
New Issue

Okay, so now I think something is wrong w/ the alternator. My Headlamps flicker constantly and my guague fluctuates and doesn't stop like it usually does w/ the AIR Pump. I even let my TB sit for a few mins prior to driving. Any ideas. Do you think it is a bad alternator that I just installed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.