Votes: 57 8.1%
  • I Don't have one, but I will soon

Votes: 327 46.6%
  • I'm not interested in a CAI

Votes: 47 6.7%

CAI: Which one do you have?

94K views 140 replies 91 participants last post by  691RyderMidnyte 
#1 · (Edited)
Please tell us which intake setup you have, and why you chose the brand that you did. If you don't have one, but intend to purchase one in the future, please explain which one you are most interested in and why?

#63 ·
I have replied to this post in the past, I have made some changes to what I have and I like the way my TB sounds and runs. I use the TrueFlow tube with a Vector AirFilter, It has a mean sound and I really feel like it makes a difference, I want to add hood scoops or one hood scoop to connect it into my intake. What do you think!!!

#64 ·
To tell you the truth with these newer vehicles, the hood scoop connected to the air intake really wont make a noticeable difference......
You are definitely thinking "old school" so to speak lol......

"Its all in the tune" as they say........Damn computerized everything....
But it will probably look much cooler and if that's what you like, well go for the gold......

#65 ·
To tell you the truth with these newer vehicles, the hood scoop connected to the air intake really wont make a noticeable difference......
You are definitely thinking "old school" so to speak lol......

"Its all in the tune" as they say........Damn computerized everything....
But it will probably look much cooler and if that's what you like, well go for the gold......
I disagree...

By your logic, raising the static pressure in the intake tract would be of no benefit, but physics says otherwise. By directly presurizing the air box at speed (usually called ram air) you will presurize the intake tract over ambiant air pressure, which will force more air into the cylinders at any given rpm. Same effect as a turbo or supercharger, on a smaller scale. The gains won't be measured in the hundreds of horsepower scale, but there will be a boost at speed.

Note that a chassis dyno won't pick up boosts like this, as there is no air under pressure flowing through the system. This one takes road speed.

As far as the computers... Re-mapping the parameters, as many of us are doing via PCM for Less, HP Tuners, Westers, etc., does make a difference also. We're changing the set points that the engine management shoot for and there are indeed performance gains to be found in that manner.

#68 ·
so i took a look on ebay at air intakes and i was just wanting people's opions on the cheap kind i looked at a brand that is just a crome intake with a k&n filter.... so i was wondering if anyone has bought one recently.... an di want one that sounds deep and mean lol let me know what ya think?:)

#83 ·
Ok, so I was looking at the Chrome Intake ones as well, but not to stoked about the little strap holding the filter and tube down on the windshiled washer reservoir. Is it strong enough in your guys opinion? My plan was to get the Chrome Intake one, hollow out the stock airbox, drill some holes in the front of the air box to allow more air flow, and put the stock air box with my alterations over the Chrome Intake filter. Think that would work?

:thx

#73 ·
Just ordered the K&N 63 series.:woohoo: I feel like a kid in the candy store.

#74 ·
!!cynic alert!!

I am going to lob a duece into the punch bowl...

All I am reading here is a lot of hearsay and butt-dyno testimonies. Does anyone have any real data to back up significant performance gains of a CAI on a Trailvoy or its cousins? Show me some dyno plots that compare different systems. BTW, I don't count K&Ns data (much respect to K&N)...but what good is 9-10hp to a vehicle that weighs 4400 to 5100 pounds?

#81 ·
I am going to lob a duece into the punch bowl...

All I am reading here is a lot of hearsay and butt-dyno testimonies. Does anyone have any real data to back up significant performance gains of a CAI on a Trailvoy or its cousins? Show me some dyno plots that compare different systems. BTW, I don't count K&Ns data (much respect to K&N)...but what good is 9-10hp to a vehicle that weighs 4400 to 5100 pounds?
Bragging rights lol just like my tb spacer "adds" about 10hp and some torque,, which I soon found out doesn't do anything.

But anywho, I purchased my K&N simply for the name.. it's a respected name and I've heard nothing really bad about them.

#75 ·
Txtrail

I don't have any dyno numbers to back it up but hands down a good CAI will increase power. I made my own becase i don't believe in buying a name. But the concept is known to increase hp and tq> more air=more power and the stock one is clearly restrictive with its circulatory box system. Best bang for your buck is get a CAI and a tune. I would stay away from an ebay CAI though. I went that path and it was clearly a universal thing with extra holes and a tiny air filter. I made mine for like 30 bucks plus the 50 dollar k and n i had on my stock box

#77 ·
I'll start by saying that I am a fan of the CAI and have one my self (True Flow) and that I notice a difference in the way the car runs with the CAI in place (with a PCM for Less tune). It is definitely snappier after 3000 rpm with the CAI in place.

But, does it add enough HP to make it worth the cost? Probably not. Especially if the CAI isn't actually a CAI after it is installed, like most of the ones I see posted on the board. Just an open air filter element laying under the hood will probably decrease HP instead of increase it from the hot air being sucked into the intake tract.

I picked up my True Flow for under $100 at Amazon.com and it uses the stock air box (modified -- hogged out) which draws in cool outside air. Future plans include a cowl induction hood with ducting to the top of the air box, which will net some increase HP at freeway speeds from the ram air effect (even slightly over atmosphere pressure increases power). I also like the sound of the intake, which is the main reason I'm running it. I dislike the "silent" factory sound of the TrailVoy platform, so I've done the intake and resonator delete to get a bit of sound when I'm getting on it.

If I had to spend my money somewhere for a HP increase, however, I'd spend it on the tune first, then somewhere else -- gears, torque converter, etc., before I did a CAI that cost me close to $400 like some do.

#78 ·
K&n cai

Installed a K&N 63:) on my '09-very simple. Past experience w/K&N drove decision. Chose plastic pipe version cuz I'm in Phoenix and wanted lowest heat gain on unit. Why CAI? Upgraded 17's to 20 in Centerlines, and lost out of the hole performance and 1.5 mpg. 20's(forged) are same weight as 17's(stock), tire heavier. CAI restored both! Lived with poor performance for a month to be sure the TB computer had time to adjust-it didn't, b4 making the change---WELL WORTH IT!
Picked it up on ebay for about $265.

#79 ·
For what it's worth, all an air intake setup can do is lower the resistance of the air entering the intake tract. It cannot add air above atmospheric pressures unless there is some means of actually boosting that pressure.

To explain air density and weight, imagine a column of air as tall as the earth's atmosphere. That column of air weighs in at 14.7 pounds at sea level, so the weight of a charge of air not otherwise boosted by any external means is limited to that 14.7 pounds. That is the force being pushed into the intake tract. Density is the amount of oxygen available in that charge of air to power the burn from the air/fuel mix, and density can change based on temperature of the air. The colder the air the more dense it is, providing more atoms of oxygen to burn.

There are several means of boosting the atmospheric pressure in the intake tract, one of which is ram air (where air pressure generated from a higher air pressure zone at some point on the vehicle body is directed to the air intake),another is a turbocharger, or another means a supercharger.

Additionally, air density can also effect power production, and one can increase air density by keeping or reducing in-coming air charges as cool as possible. Cooler air is more dense and can support a higher charge of fuel, making more power.

A well-designed CAI system will accomplish both of the goals above -- reducing any back pressure that robs the intake tract of the full 14.7 pounds of atmospheric weight (at sea level -- higher elevations have less air weight) and/or keeping the air charge as cool as possible for maximum density of the air charge. A CAI cannot increase air density or weight from atmospheric levels -- it can only preserve all that already exists by not offering resistance (through bends, ripples, etc.) and by not heating the air. An intake can reduce atmospheric pressures by resistance (bends, etc.) so that a couple of psi of air is not available for introduction to the combustion chamber, for instance a restrictive filter that flows less cubic feet per minute than the engine needs causing the weight of the air at the throttle blades to be less than 14.7 pounds (or whatever your air weight is at your elevation).

Additionally, an internal combustion engine will also draw air into the intake tract by way of piston movement. As the pistons go down in their bores, air is pulled into the cylinder. At normal atmospheric levels only the amount of air that equals the volume of the combustion chamber can be drawn into an engine. No more can be introduced than is physically possible by the volume of the chamber. Of course, less than optimal air charges can be introduced my any number of means -- length of time that the valves are open, rpm of the engine (not leaving adequate time to completely fill the cylinder), overlap of valve timing (allowing some air to exit with the exhaust gas), or amount of air-vane opening in the throttle body (or carburetor). It is the regulation of the amount of air entering the combustion chamber that governs engine speed, hence the throttle body plate that limits air flow into the system. Modern engines can also alter fuel charge via computer control of injector pulse width, making for better efficiency.

So, an engine's air needs can be computed very precisely via mathematical formula -- X number of pistons moving at X speed, drawing X amount of air equals the amount of air needed. There is no way to cheat this system with an intake system unless that system can raise the pressure of the air above atmospheric conditions via the means listed above. Our goal then, is to make our intake tract as EFFICIENT as possible so that the maximum amount of cool air enters the intake tract as can in concert with atmospheric pressures. We find CAI systems that do exactly that with some degree of success depending on the individual system, how well it flows (most will flow more than the engine needs) and how cool the air remains in that system until it meets the spark that ignites it.

A secondary (but very important) element of the CAI system is good filtration of the incoming air. Best, of course, would be a ram air stack (like drag racers of old) poking up through the hood of the car with no filter in place -- that would flow the maximum amount of air on every intake charge, but the engine would not last long at all! In the real world, we need to compromise somewhat and find a system that allows as cool of air as possible to get filtered as good as possible and that also feeds as much as possible to the engine whenever it needs it.

Hope this helps to explain what is going on in the intake tract so that good decisions can be made for CAI systems.

#80 ·
Most DIY projects are analyzed by the SOP method, by feel or easy calcs of the the speedo. Only when racing SCCA(B-P), did I bother with dyno readouts on individual components. With 5 kids-two in college, its more driven by lack of access, lack of $'s, & time than professional or scientific curiosity. I did re-acquire the 2 mpg lost & tip-in performance lost with the tire/rim upgrade by my 3rd tank of gas. Bsides-it looks cool! Granted- it would be great to have hard numbers-oh well.

#82 ·
Chrome Intake for 69$ on Ebay: review

i had received my custom CAI from Chrome intake:woohoo:, that requires the remove of resonator, easy to install if you know what to do, my Throttle body was very dirty, i clean it with a can called "throttle body cleaner" , smells like nail paint remover, after installing the CAI, and test it.
1. very good push up in HP, specially after exceeding 2500 RPM.
2. very beautiful sound, i couldn't imagine that can produce such sound, you can feel the VROOOOOOOOOM coming out down the hood.
3. i didn't notice in Gaining MPG's, i will post later if any pops up.
i think i will never claim more MPG's if i still hit hard on Gas to hear the sucking air from CAI.
during test, i kicked a BMW X5 ass so hard that he start to cry :sadcry: :dielaugh:

#85 ·
I got the AirRaid because I found a member that wanted to trade me for a pushbar I had when I upgraded to my current grill guard setup. I didn't notice anything at all until I deleted my intake res and replaced it with a piece of PVC pipe. I gotta say it sounds sick, nice and loud, and feels like it added a little. Woke up my flowmaster 70 as well. My buddy said it is WAY louder since I added the intake...

#87 ·
Just Bought the Volant!

I have been reading up on CAI kits, Volant seemed like the winner in my eyes - No metal parts (cooler), nice looking air cleaner box over resevoir looks good and less restrictive, and maintains factory look while still improving air flow. I also bought some pulse plugs to install at the same time, hoping that this will improve performance and MPG a little overall.

Next on the list is a full AMS fluid makeover, including tranny & diff fluids, HID kit has been bought and will be installed with CAI, only thing left is to do the PCMforless upgrade! On second thought, I need to change my tires too - bought used with 235/65/17, am going to upgrade to 245/70/17 after winter (no lift).

There's always LED interior lights & fog lights, oh and that change to the fog light switch wiring so they always come on with the headlights, gotta get better floor mats from weathertech too...:eek:fftopic:

I better shut up before I get talked to about rambling and spending too much money on irrelevant things:x

#89 ·
Difference between....

Okay, so in my search for a CAI, I have come accross a question. What is the difference between an 05 and an 06 intake setup? I found a CAI setup that I like made by Weapon R, but they only have the 06-09 listed. http://www.weapon-r.com/index.php?act=view_product&id=66 The instructions for this one are crap, and after looking at my intake, it looks like it should mount up. Any thoughts?

#90 · (Edited)
Don't have a CAI

I just recently bought my '04 Trailblazer, it has the I6 and is 2wd. I don't have a CAI yet but I want to get one soon. My problem is I don't know which is best. I of course want to get the best there is, but which is the best as far mileage improvement and power and overall improvement. I'm not to worried about price but its still in mind. If anyone has any advice that would be wonderful. :grouphug: P.S. What are pulse plugs? Also what would a throttle body spacer do for my TB?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.