Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

code: P0016 with bad idle at start

8K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Povozmojno 
#1 ·
Hi to all trailvoy members:) I have been reading others threads, and this will be my first one.:worried: Ihave 04 4.2 tb with 180,000mi on it. I need to pass state emmisions, but SES light is on and I have P0016 code. At start it starts fine, but after a few seconds it starts to run rough and skips as if a hose is missing but its not. After a few min of driving it will smoth out and run fine.
I put in new delco plugs with gap @ .43 and cleaned the TB
I wiil be very thankful for any help with this problem.

Runt: thx

#2 ·
Welcome! Lots of miles for a 2004. That error relates to the camshaft position sensor being out of agreement with the crankshaft position sensor, and also could mean a bad camshaft position actuator or a loose harmonic balancer. You could start by throwing parts at the problem, but if you swap out the crank position sensor you're going to need a dealer or advanced independent tech to run a relearn procedure. If you have a trusted independent GM mechanic with a tech tool, I'd recommend you start by going there to diagnose which of the parts is the bad one. The home mechanic doesn't have access to the tools to decide which one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.