Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Starter problems 2006 ss

19K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Bill Lewis 
#1 ·
SS has been starting fine... Got a little cold out now no go. I get a loud click noise but thats is. Anyone have any ideals??? PLease help

#2 ·
If you get a loud click, then the ignition switch, relay in the fuse box, and most of the wiring seems OK. Check with a meter on the starter to make sure it gets its main power feed, then you might conclude you need a new/rebuilt one. Whack on it as somebody turns the key to see if you have a sticky solenoid.

#4 ·
has anyone replaced a starter in an SS? how the hell do you get it out / in? i'm sure you've got to remove something

solenoid stuck on me yesterday so i figured i'd preempt it happening again by replacing it. gave up after a few hours

#14 ·
Starter Removal

Just changed it today, 54K miles on the original.

Follow all of the steps in the instructions copied from the manual in the 5.3l thread. I had to turn the starter around in the space before removing it. Once you have the front of the starter (bendix end) facing the front of the car lower the starter between the trans lines and the block. You will have to pry the transmission lines away from the engine quite a bit to get the starter between the lines and the engine block.

Then I tilted the rear end of the starter between the engine and trans toward the rear of the car, that's why you remove that bracket. Solenoid positioned to the top of the starter. Pry on the lines to get the starter flange end out of the hole.

Takes quite a bit of wiggling and prying of trans lines.

Went with an O'Reily reman starter. Pulled the original apart and did not look bad. Pulled the rear cap (brush end) of the starter motor and cleaned the commutator. Reinstalled and it started the engine when I bolted it back up to engine. Did not want to risk it so installed the reman starter anyway.

It's a tricky job, even with my HR8000 two post hydraulic lift and the car 5' in the air. Glad I installed that hydraulic lift in the garage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.