Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

How Long Do These Engines Last?

74K views 38 replies 39 participants last post by  xtphreak 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 Trailblazer and love it. I have been on this forum a few times. Outside of a few minor things and regular wear and tear this thing has been rock solid. Best car I have owned so far. I still owe about 33 payments on it and have 130k on it at this time. I want to keep it for another 4 to 5 years but I am concerned it may not last this long. How much do you think I wil lgt out of it I do change the oil every 3 to 5k and I dont run her too hard.

I would love to get another one after a year or 2 after I pay this one off or once it kicks the bucket. I get around 18 mpg and that wont cut it. Would love to get another Trailblazer if the newer ones are made as good and get over 20 mpg.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
152,xxx here.
and I do 11,500 miles oil changes on dino oil.

no issues with alternators or PS pump etc.
I think if something goes wrong it will be the tranny or water pump--- but not the engine.

#3 ·
I'm on my second TB. Only got rid of the previous one (2002 TB with 128k miles on it) due to an antifreeze smell that the dealer couldn't find the cause for. Wife wouldn't ride in it anymore.

Since it was our long distance traveling car I just opted to get into another one. Never had any real problems with the first one and I plan on driving this one until the wheels fall off.

#5 ·
114,9xx on my 02. Replaced the power steering pump because I sheared the input shaft off it due to doughnuts (dumb 16yr old me), regular maintenance is it besides my performance mods. It will stay in the family until either the parents sell it or I can buy it from them.

My SS will stick with me for years to come, I will drive the wheels off it.

#6 ·
I'm at 172,000 miles and it runs as good as it did with 25,000 miles. I have yet to replace my original water pump, alternator, PS pump, A/C compressor, transmission. This is what we all want, dependable and durable safe transportation and utility. I love V-8's and own two very nice cars with them but i would not want to trade my I-6. This is the smoothest and best balanced inline six ever made and should last several 100,000 miles with good care and maintenance. As far as oil goes I am running Mobil 1 5w-30, it start smoother in the cold climate i live in.

#7 · (Edited)
I do change the oil every 3 to 5k and I dont run her too hard.
Thoughts?
What about both the differentials, transfer case, transmission, coolant, brake fluid, splined disconnect, etc? There is more than just changing the oil if you wish to keep it for a long time. Someone on this board has 230,000 miles or so on the clock.

#8 ·
:iagree:

You should be able to get 400k out of the motor without any problems. That said, any motor can blow at any time. But the odds are it will last and last and last--outlasting the rest of the truck.

But stop throwing your money away on excessive oil and filter changes. Every 10,000 miles is fine for most everyone with an I6 (my 5.3 goes 9k with the kind of driving it sees), unless you are experiencing severe duty conditions.

Basic maintenance is critical to any vehicle, and these trucks are no exception. If you take care of your truck, it will take care of you.

#10 ·
I'm running Amsoil synthetic in mine, and if typical, I'll see WAY over 300K miles before it even starts to use oil.

I'm at 100K now and it runs great. I have replaced the transmission, rear axle bearings and seals, brakes and rotors, front unit-bearing hubs, rear u-joints, spark plugs, t-stat, and did a PCM for Less tune, True Flow CAI, and a resonater delete. Not bad in my estimation, considering that some of those miles were towing an 8000# off-road vehicle/car-hauler trailer load across country (reason for my transmission and rear axle issues).

#12 ·
I have 187,000 miles on mine and seems like it gets stronger every day. Another thing is that the original tranny seems to be ok too (knock on wood) and i have towed cars with it at this high mileage! The motor is strong cause i get on it alot and it still throws me back and just steadily keeps you layed back in the seat. I say these motors have the potential to go to 500,000+ miles.

#13 · (Edited)
129,000 miles here... engine runs great. Once in a great while I get some burnt oil upon a cold start (I run synthetic), and I use about 1 qt in between oil changes (I go about 6,000 miles). Not too shabby, considering my Detroit style of driving :x

Dont want to jinx myself, but im still on my original water pump, orig. trans, never had a problem with my windows/spare tire cable/transfer case/ignition switch. (severe knocking on wood!!)

#14 ·
2003 trailblazer

Hi everyone

I am new to this site, but think it's cool to have site where we TrailVoy owners can all take about them. My trailblazer has 158 k on it runs real good find the fan a little loud on take off but ok .I recently installed a chrome 3" bull bar on it had to do some mods but well worth it, tell me what u think bye for now.

ERIC

#17 ·
Hi everyone

I am new to this site, but think it's cool to have site where we TrailVoy owners can all take about them. My trailblazer has 158 k on it runs real good find the fan a little loud on take off but ok .I recently installed a chrome 3" bull bar on it had to do some mods but well worth it, tell me what u think bye for now.

ERIC
Welcome fellow Canadian!!! :tiphat Post in the Intro forum to see many more Canucks. I've got 115,000 kms [~71,400 miles] on my '04!

#15 ·
I have over 146k miles on my bravada and i just did the maintenance with spark plugs last year. It won't be due for another set of plugs for a long while, but I do change the fuel filter, air filter, and seafoam it every year. I also change the oil with fully synthetic castrol or mobil1 every 5k as I drive about 70 miles/day.

#26 ·
Tb ls 73,000

I have a 2004 TB with 73,000. replaced the plugs on 60K (Early). I just did trans, rear axel, break flush, coolant, power steering (All of them) for the first time in the vehicle. It runs great. The Fan clutch was fixed when car was under 1 year old.

I am new here. I replaced my stereo already (Daughter out coins in the CD player) I am reading into installing an overhead console and I got to swap the speakers.
I am going to keep it until the transmission dies.:p

#18 ·
The body will fall apart long before this engine dies. I have not been the happiest TB on this forum. But now that I've got past most of the common problems, its running excellent and I expect to get well over 200k. I'll be sick of it by that time, but I'm sure it'll be running fine. I have 135k on it right now.

#19 ·
I currently have 120,000 miles and I had to replace my transmission @ 118,000 miles - I've done some boat towing and most of those miles are city. Had a couple minor repairs done over the years outside of the tranny such as fan clutch, one coil replaced at 100k, some type of control for the a/c back at about 70k miles. At 100,000 miles I did a complete service with plugs, antifreeze, thermostat, belt. I change oil as soon as the light comes on, as well as other scheduled mtx. I have a vibration at idle when in drive. Shop believes motor mounts need to be replaced. If I do that for $354 (Mounts from GM) and that solves the problem, (see "deep vibration at idle on 2003 TB" thread) I may go forward with some new ball joints, and shocks as the Envoy is riding hard these days. I don't think the engine is the problem on these trucks. Best of luck.:thumbsup:

KWhite

#27 ·
I am currently on my second TB. My first one was an '02 LS that I sold with 160K on it. The thing ran flawlessly. I got rid of it as I just wanted one that had more options. Currently now I have an '05 LT and it has 71K on, as I consider it a baby. Other than small issues (I have fixed myself) both of these trucks have been perfect running. One great vehicle, I just wish they made an updated model instead of creating the Traverse!

#28 ·
I do change the oil every 3 to 5k and I dont run her too hard.
Thoughts?
What about both the differentials, transfer case, transmission, coolant, brake fluid, splined disconnect, etc? There is more than just changing the oil if you wish to keep it for a long time. Someone on this board has 230,000 miles or so on the clock.

I have 264789 on the clock I do oil changes every 7000 to 9000 depending on how I drive I still drive it kinda hard need a new tensioner pulley and the fan sounds like a semi when I drive replacing that asap.other the. That I have had no problems I have replaced the whole front end upper lower tie rods joints brand new tires I have driven this thing all over hell incarnation. I bought it fifty something thousand miles. If the rods are good I'll put a new chain when it breaks I love this truck...oh it's a 2003 ls ext o had an 05 trailblazer edition had 225000+ no worries take care of it I hope to see 100000+ more

#29 · (Edited)
I have a 2003 Trailblazer and love it. I have been on this forum a few times. Outside of a few minor things and regular wear Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin and tear this thing has been rock solid. Best car I have owned so far. I still owe about 33 payments on it and have 130k on it at this time. I want to keep it for another 4 to 5 years but I am concerned it may not last this long. How much do you think I wil lgt out of it I do change the oil every 3 to 5k and I dont run her too hard.

I would love to get another one after a year or 2 after I pay this one off or once it kicks the bucket. I get around 18 mpg and that wont cut it. Would love to get another Trailblazer if the newer ones are made as good and get over 20 mpg.

Thoughts?
I'm at 100K now and it runs great. I have replaced the transmission, rear axle bearings and seals, brakes and rotors, front unit-bearing hubs, rear u-joints, spark plugs, t-stat, and did a PCM for Less tune, True Flow CAI, and a resonater delete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.