Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

P0014 Camshaft Position Actuator B Need some assistance.

30K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  2manytoys 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Well, the sluggishness continues. Though it's not nearly as bad. At this point, after replacing the bad coil pack, both 02 sensors, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, the sluggishness has improved. (at 94k miles, it did need these items) If I am going up a slight incline, and kick it hard into second (passing gear) the rpm's rev, it sputters and the speed will drop. If I back off so it shifts, it will correct itself but the throttle response is sloppy. There is still a deep, throaty sound coming from the intake area when you step on it heavier and after it shifts from first to second. Throaty to the point of sluggishness until it gets above 3k rpms.

I have cleaned the throttle body to spotless too. All repairs done with neg. battery cable undone.

Now......a few weeeks ago I noticed oil buildup on the outside of a sensor, above the pulley belt, on the front of the head on the passenger side. I sprayed it with CRC QD electrical contact cleaner. The other day, while my G/F was driving it to work, up a slight grade for about 1/2 miles the SES came on steady. Later that day I pulled the code. Here is the code and the freeze frame data.

P0014 Cam Position Actuator B Bank 1
Timing over advanced.
Calc load % (92.9)
Coolant temp (212)
ST Fuel trim (-0.7)
LT Fuel Trim (-10.9)
MAP (in hg) 16.5
Engine RPM 2359
MPH 31
Ignition advance 29.0
IAT 102 Degrees Farenheit
AB SLT PPS 32.5

After doing a search here and elsewhere for this code I've come to the conclusion that the Cam Pos. Actuator is the sensor on the block I had been cleaning. Is this correct??

While I was under the hood afte checking this code, I noticed the oil had built back up on this sensor. This time I unplugged it and there was a puddle of oil in the base of the connector. Cleaned it again with the CRC QD.

If this sensor I had been cleaning is the CAM POS. ACTUATOR, is it easily replaced? I'm a very good wrench, however, if this is an item that requires alignment and tools to do so, I'll have to let someone else to it.

Will this faulty sensor cause the sluggishness, lack of power when hitting passing gear and overall malaise or could the cat be plugging up due to a previous rich condition?

Do the fuel trim variances indicate a weak fuel pump?

Thanks much guys.

If my info doesn't come up in my sig it's a 2004 Envoy XL 4.2 4x4

See less See more
#3 ·
Check your engine oil first...

Engine oil has a major impact upon the camshaft actuation system's responsiveness. Oil temperature, viscosity, and quality can slow and/or inhibit the phaser's ability to reach a desired phase angle.
What kind of oil have you/she been using (weight) & what condition is the oil usually in when drained?

johnt000 mentions a possibility, but you can check this solenoid valve....but you have to remove the power steering pump :worried:

Once you pull it out...

Inspect the camshaft position actuator solenoid valve assembly for the following:
- Torn screens
- Debris on the screens
- Debris clogging the oil ports
- Missing screens
- Oil seepage at the solenoid connector pins
You already found oil seeping at the connector pins, so it should be/the next step is to replace the valve

#7 ·
Check your engine oil first...

What kind of oil have you/she been using (weight) & what condition is the oil usually in when drained?

johnt000 mentions a possibility, but you can check this solenoid valve....but you have to remove the power steering pump :worried:

Once you pull it out...

You already found oil seeping at the connector pins, so it should be/the next step is to replace the valve
Hey Pro,

We've been using 5w30 as per the manual recommendations.
Two changes ago, 7k miles, we switched to Valvoline Synthetic. The oil is darker, but not black, with very little gas/exhaust odor. Odd thing, after the last oil change, the "change oil" light will not go out after pushing the gas pedal 3x in 5 seconds. It stays on for a while after start and running before it goes out.

I think this time it's going to the dealer.

Thanks for the input.

#4 ·
Hi All,

Now......a few weeeks ago I noticed oil buildup on the outside of a sensor, above the pulley belt, on the front of the head on the passenger side. I sprayed it with CRC QD electrical contact cleaner. The other day, while my G/F was driving it to work, up a slight grade for about 1/2 miles the SES came on steady. Later that day I pulled the code. Here is the code and the freeze frame data.
Oil was seeping on my 03 and was replaced under warranty at 32000 miles. It was actually seeping for quite awhile. I would clean it off and in a few months it would be coated again. The p/n was 12576768. The new one seeps a small amount and I'm now at 55000 miles. Never had any performance issues however.
TBlazed inserted a small rubber gasket in the socket so when plugged in it would seal around the pins. It's my understanding it worked to stop the seeping. If mine gets to the point of more leaking I'll try that approach.

#5 ·
I would just make sure its plugged in all the way, I took mine off to clean the oil seepage off and when I put it back, I must not have pushed hard enough cause a few days later I get the SES light and the same code you got there, open the hood just to make sure everything was plugged in before I went and bought a new Camshaft Postioning Sensor. Sure as sh#t I noticed it wasnt in all the way. Gave it a push until I heard it click, remove the battery cable for about a half hour and came back and hooked up battery cable and she ran better then ever.

I guess moral of story make sure all cables, connections, etc are in place before spending money on parts, cause you never know when you could use that money for your next mod. :woot:

#6 ·
ok heres what happened to me, got the same exact code, I let it go for a little bit cause driving was not really effect much and i did not have time to look into it. 3 days into the light being on the fan clutch went and so there went all the issues you are having sluggishness, the load air roaring noise. And after I had changed fan clutch the code went away and have been driving great ever since

blu

#9 ·
Hey BluAv, I've been reading about fan clutch issues allot on the this forum and with 95K on the Envoy, I believe I'll take it in to the dealer and have them plug it in and see what comes up then go from there. So darn many computer parts all related to one another...frustrating at times.

#10 ·
First off, Oil should not be getting through the valve & onto the pins/connector...this indicates replacement is necissary.

Also, I don't see where a fan clutch issue will throw this code :no:

BTW...if you are looking to reply to multiple posts by quoting, click on the "+ (next to quote) for each of the posts that you would like to quote, then click the reply button. You will reply with 1 post that includes all of the quotes you want :yes:

#11 ·
Hey Mike,

The connector on the top of the motor, above the serpentine belt that is leaking, will be replaced this weekend.

Thanks also for pointing out how to reply to multiple posts. One can learn more than just mech. info on this forum.

#12 ·
Cam position sensor

I had a similar issue a couple of months ago on an '03 Envoy. I did not see in any of the previous posts that there are two sensors having to do with the cam position. The one on the front of the block is easy to replace and the cam position sensor actuator solenoid is on the side. To replace the one on the side, where I also found oil in the electrical connector, the serpentine belt must come off and the power streering pump must be loosened by inserting a socket through the holes in the pulley, there are three bolts. When reinstalling it the only alignment is to be sure you don't cross thread the bolts. I am assuming your vehicle is the same as my '03. The sensor can be found at either a Chevy or GMC dealer and it seems to be a bit cheaper at Chevy.

Good luck.:):):)

#13 ·
I had a similar issue a couple of months ago on an '03 Envoy. I did not see in any of the previous posts that there are two sensors having to do with the cam position. The one on the front of the block is easy to replace and the cam position sensor actuator solenoid is on the side. To replace the one on the side, where I also found oil in the electrical connector, the serpentine belt must come off and the power streering pump must be loosened by inserting a socket through the holes in the pulley, there are three bolts. When reinstalling it the only alignment is to be sure you don't cross thread the bolts. I am assuming your vehicle is the same as my '03. The sensor can be found at either a Chevy or GMC dealer and it seems to be a bit cheaper at Chevy.

Good luck.:):):)
Hey Sport, thanks for the info. The sensor that is leaking is on the top, front, passenger side of the block. Looks to be accessed from the side of the SUV without having to remove anything. I'll be picking up the part tomorrow.

Thanks again.

#14 ·
The cam position sensor actuator solenoind is on the passenger side of the head and it sounds like the sensor you are working on is on the front of the head to the passenger side. The solenoind is about 6 inches toward the passenger compartment from the sensor on the front of the head and I did have to loosen the power steering pump to get it out, a lot of it is in the head.

It's still not all that difficult. :)

#15 ·
The solenoind is about 6 inches toward the passenger compartment from the sensor on the front of the head and I did have to loosen the power steering pump to get it out, a lot of it is in the head.

It's still not all that difficult. :)[/QUOTE]

That would be the one....towards the firewall, not on the front of the block. If there is that much in the head, which is really not noticeable from the general look of things, then, as you've said, I'll have to loosen the pump.

Much appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.