Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Gauge Cluster Fast Clicking/Whining Noise

15K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  trlbzrusr 
#1 ·
With the purchase of a 2002 TB LTZ with 29.5K miles,
the original warranty only lasts until tomorrow, 4/13/05.

I purchased the vehicle on 4/6/05 and have put close to
200 miles on it, both city and highway, to see if there was
anything that could/would need to be fixed before the warranty expires.

Nothing wrong with the LTZ the first 2 days, but on the
3rd day I noticed that when I start the engine or turn
the keys on to accessories that when the needles would
move up I would hear this fast clicking/whining noise coming from
the gauge cluster. The same problem also happens when
I shut off the engine or turn the keys to the off postion
from accessories and the needles go back down. Also this sometimes
occurs when the engine is running and I give it just a little
gas and the RPM needle goes up slightly.

I took the LTZ into the dealership this morning and they said
that the fast clicking/whining is normal until I had someone get
in with all the windows up and doors closed and they said it
did seem higher/louder than normal. They said if they did change it there
was still a possibility that the noise would still be there but
would not be as noticable.

I just don't want the gauge cluster going out because of something
going on with it causing it to have the fast clicking/whining noise.

They ordered a new gauge cluster and will write down the miles on the
current one when I take it back in to program it with the correct miles and
said it should only take about 20 minutes to install the new gauge cluster
when it arrives.

I was just wondering if anyone else had this kind of problem, even with
any other GM vehicles and if it is even worth getting a new gauge cluster?

I never noticed any clicking/whining noise from the gauge cluster when
I had purchased a brand new 2002 Cavalier LS Sport with driving it from
0 miles to 15K miles, nor with my 1998 Camaro Z28 with 56K miles to
64K miles, or a 2001 Camaro SS with 15K miles to 21K miles.

Thanks for any and all info/help, it is greatly appreciated. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
There is a TSB out on this very subject, and my 02 Envoy SLE does the same thing. It will involve replacing the cluster due to a bad tachometer stepper motor; however there are no overhauled units available currently. Once the parts suppliers start producing enough "excess parts" to do overhauls, they will hit the dealers.

What I was told is that installing a brand new cluster right now wouldn't necessarilly fix the problem, since there are still potentially defective parts. In fact the new one could even be louder than your current one.

Rest assured though, the cluster WILL NOT go out completely, if anything does quit working it will be only the tachometer, and that isn't even likely. The noise, however, is definitely NOT normal. It is an inherent issue with GMT360 clusters, not all GM vehicles.

04-01-38-002 JAN 04 A/C - Clicking Noises From The Instrument Panel.

When I get to work later, I'll PDF the actual content of that TSB for you.

#4 ·
CRAP! I quoted the wrong TSB before. The correct one is as follows:

Bulletin No.: 04-08-49-015

Date: May 04, 2004

TECHNICAL
Subject:
Noise Coming From Instrument Panel Cluster (Replace Instrument Panel Cluster)

Models:
2004 Buick Rainier
2002-2004 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
2003-2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV
2002-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche, Impala, Monte Carlo, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT
2003-2004 Chevrolet SSR
2002-2004 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
2004 GMC Envoy XUV
2002-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada

Condition

Some customers may comment on a noise coming from the instrument panel cluster (IPC) while driving or on initial start-up during gauge reset. The noise changes in relationship to the tachometer movement.

Cause

The cause of this noise may be the tachometer stepper motor.

Correction

Replace the instrument cluster with an exchange unit through normal procedure. Upon initial request of the exchange part, be sure to mention the noise issue and request an exchange unit that has had the tachometer stepper motor replaced as a part of the previous remanufacturing process at the exchange center. Delphi has issued bulletin # 04-IDPD-01-IS-A effective February 23, 2004 to all exchange centers giving direction to replace tachometer stepper motors on those clusters which would not have had that replacement under normal process.

Warranty Information
Labor Operation N4180

#5 ·
So, do I still need to get the whole gauge cluster replaced or just the tach stepper motor?

They already ordered the new guage cluster and since it has been close to a year since that bulletin was released, I figure that any new gauge cluster would have a newer stepper motor.

Thanks for all the info 02EnvoySLE Guy. :)

#6 ·
BlazinLTZ said:
So, do I still need to get the whole gauge cluster replaced or just the tach stepper motor?

They already ordered the new guage cluster and since it has been close to a year since that bulletin was released, I figure that any new gauge cluster would have a newer stepper motor.

Thanks for all the info 02EnvoySLE Guy. :)
The motor can't be replaced as a separate part. The dealer orders a new cluster, and sends the old one in to Delphi so they can retrofit it; it will then be sent to another dealership for install in yet another truck.

I was told that GM (or actually, Delphi) would release a suplemental TSB telling dealers that they were OK to start sending defective clusters in. As of a couple weeks ago, this suplement had not been released (I had mine in to a dealer and brought it up).

Note, if this IS exhibiting those symptoms, it should be a warranty item under the factory warr. or GMPP.

#7 ·
Thanks 02EnvoySLE Guy.

Yes, my gauge cluster is having the problems and that is why the dealership
ordered a gauge cluster.

I am just hoping it is one that 'has' been retrofitted.

Thanks for all the info/help everyone. :)

Now, just need to wait for the dealership to contact me when the guage
cluster is in.

#8 ·
Ok, so apperently my Gauge Cluster was making noise, so the dealer ship ordered it, and replaced it. They ordered it 2 months ago, and finally I got around to taking it in., and hell a new gauge cluster, its free, sure why not. So to my surprize they programmed it for my out Mileage "2 FREAKIN MONTHS AGO".

Truck Goes in - 44,900kms
Truck Comes Out - 39,650kms....

Go Figure. What a bunch of morons.. and 4000 free kilometers for me.. lol

Has this happened to anyone before?

Russ

#9 ·
Recall, or just bad stuff?

Is this TSB an actual recall, or is this something that 'just happens', and we have to pay for out of our pocket? I have a 2003 TB XLT, and the ticking started to happen 6-8 weeks ago - and I have an extended warranty, but whatever the cost is, it's still $200 out of my pocket....arrrgh!

#10 ·
kai00051 said:
Is this TSB an actual recall, or is this something that 'just happens', and we have to pay for out of our pocket?
TSBs are basically how-to bulletins meant to give techs a head's-up on common problems and how to fix them correctly. Only in rare cases will TSBs be performed for free once you're out of warranty. Meaning, this is something you'll probably pay for out of pocket. Recalls are required by law because they deal with safety issues and will be performed regardless of ownership or mileage.

As for the dash ticking noise, chances are the tach motor won't fail anytime earlier than if it didn't make noise. The noise is common but I haven't heard of anybody's tach actually failing. My suggestion would be to wait to get it fixed until something else goes wrong so then you'll pay the warranty deductible anyway. My dash makes the noise but I hardly notice it. I'm waiting until the next time I need to go in under the ext. warranty to have anything done about it (been waiting for awhile actually).

#12 ·
Ticking Noise

bmm354 said:
TSBs are basically how-to bulletins meant to give techs a head's-up on common problems and how to fix them correctly. Only in rare cases will TSBs be performed for free once you're out of warranty. Meaning, this is something you'll probably pay for out of pocket. Recalls are required by law because they deal with safety issues and will be performed regardless of ownership or mileage.

As for the dash ticking noise, chances are the tach motor won't fail anytime earlier than if it didn't make noise. The noise is common but I haven't heard of anybody's tach actually failing. My suggestion would be to wait to get it fixed until something else goes wrong so then you'll pay the warranty deductible anyway. My dash makes the noise but I hardly notice it. I'm waiting until the next time I need to go in under the ext. warranty to have anything done about it (been waiting for awhile actually).
Ours DID go out to the tune of over $600 to repair. Not a happy camper here! Did it under factory warrentee and now at close to 60,000 it is out. Be warned.

#13 ·
Yeah, I'm pulling up and old one here (but I searched it out!).

Anyhow, truck just passed 36,000 miles, got it two weeks ago. Turned it off tonight and heard exactly what is described here. Turned it back on and off again to hear it over and over, it never did this before tonight.

Now, just over 36,000 miles.... what warranty do these trucks have on things like this? I have the 100K extended drivetrain warranty but that won't cover this.

With it being on a TSB, do I have ANY baragining power after 36,000 or am I SOL on this one? Do I see $600 in my future going to the dealership?

Any replies appreciated.

#14 ·
Considering you just bought it and you just went over the 36k just roll into the dealer tomorrow and drop your truck off for your "scheduled appointment" When they say you dont have an appointment just say you called last week and made one before your warranty was up because of this problem. They shouldnt give you too hard of a time especially with the TSB. You may want to have your salesman go with you to help convince them if they need convincing. You can also go talk to your salesman about buying another vehicle beforehand. Then tell the salesman you need to go drop your car off to get your cluster fixed. If they wont cover it under warranty then go talk to your saleman. Tell him if they wont even fix an existing problem that has a TSB out for it then you wont be buying the vehicle you were just looking at.

#15 · (Edited)
Tachometer failure!!!!

Well, looks like Im the first to post of a total failure. Never heard this noise, but our tach is stuck... On rare occasions it will move, but only a little.. We just hit 37000 miles in our 04'. Go figure!:mad: So how much will a new cluster set me back? How hard to replace? Also believe the Fan Clutch is acting up. Looks like a great time to trade it in huh? Thanks in advance for the help.

Ohh, didnt see previous posts. Ok, Im the second one to go out. :(

#16 ·
Well, looks like Im the first to post of a total failure. Never heard this noise, but our tach is stuck... On rare occasions it will move, but only a little.. We just hit 37000 miles in our 04'. Go figure!:mad: So how much will a new cluster set me back? How hard to replace? Also believe the Fan Clutch is acting up. Looks like a great time to trade it in huh? Thanks in advance for the help.

Ohh, didnt see previous posts. Ok, Im the second one to go out. :(
Some have had success appealing to GM customer service when their vehicle just went out of warranty and a problem occurs. GM may (no promises here) pick up part of the cost of the repairs if you are the origional owner.

This company can repair or replace the cluster
http://www.specmo.com/

#18 ·
I was just wondering why this TSB doesn't cover the Ascender. I started having this problem about 10,000 miles ago then it went away for a few thousand miles. Now it is intermittent which is pretty annoying. Should this be a TSB for the Ascender? I really don't want to spend $600 to fix it at the dealership. Any suggestions on what else I can do?

#19 ·
I've got the tick!

Well, at about 60k I have the tick too. 03 Envoy
Now I have to add this to my list of gm timebombs.

Fan Clutch
Outside Mirror Memory
Sway Bar end links
Front shock
4 Rotors
4WD control issue (removed fuse)
something else I forget...losing track here.

All after the 36k warranty
Thanks GM!

#20 ·
I Have 67K on my Odometer, TRLBLZR 2004 LS now in Canada, no warranty...and same problem. My Tacho starts well but after 5 mins the needle falls down zero and tried overcome a limiter.
The reason was: one of two coils has a broken wire and stepper motor works only backward.
Treatment (temporarely) swapped up tacho and oil pressure gauges using my solder and unsodering pump.
This crappy case happens 'cause Tacho is the most active gauge (even more than Speedo) and after some time (following to uncle Murfy's Law after warranty period exactly) becomes worn out.

Wanted used gauge cluster for the replacement ( by myself) the Oil Pressure stepper... in Canada!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.