Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Rear Lift Gate Replacement Part

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  SparkyJJO 
#1 ·
I've posted in the past, what would be causing my rear tailgate to be rusting on the lower left hand corner. Its rusting from inside the panel out...so in order to fix the rust problem, i was told i need to replace the entire tail gate.

What are you guys' thoughts on this?

Second, I remember seeing the whole tailgate (replacement) up for sale, but i was unable to track this down...

Looking for a tailgate, no glass, no inners or trim, just the metal gate itself.

Other than a local junkyard, is anyone aware of a place to get one (OEM) at a decent price?

#2 · (Edited)
I've posted in the past, what would be causing my rear tailgate to be rusting on the lower left hand corner. Its rusting from inside the panel out...so in order to fix the rust problem, i was told i need to replace the entire tail gate.

What are you guys' thoughts on this?
I'd be willing to bet your seal, somewhere on that side, came loose and has been letting water inside the gate, which caused the rust over time.

Second, I remember seeing the whole tailgate (replacement) up for sale, but i was unable to track this down...

Looking for a tailgate, no glass, no inners or trim, just the metal gate itself.

Other than a local junkyard, is anyone aware of a place to get one (OEM) at a decent price?
GMPartsdirect has just the gate for over $500. What prices have you seen so far?

#4 ·
Seal around the license plate insert is a common failure. That then allows water inside the tailgate, which lets it rust.

I know, my tailgate has a brown spot in the center and another spot starting on the left corner, with paint bubbles along the lower edge from other spots starting to rust through :hopeless

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.