Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

P0495 Code

7K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Cyborg 
#1 ·
I got a P0495 code (Fan speed high). What is this? bad fan clutch?

#3 ·
so if you have to get a new clutch, and do the install yourself, then who reconfigures the PCM? because a dealer usually charges around $110 just to update it, how much does pcmforless charge?

#4 ·
Thanks Blazernut for the link...good info.
I guess I need to replace the fan clutch. I was waiting for PCMforLess to get both a tune and EFan but I dont think I can wait any longer.

Based on that writeup, were do I buy the Fan Clutch from or more importantly who sells the new design reference in the writup? I think I would rather replace it myself or is it best to take it into a dealer?

#5 ·
The new part number is in the resources section but I think all the ones are good these days.

Check out out Vendors section as they do have some there. Check out this guy too:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=34812
Ebay has also been a choice of many.
The dealer will kill you with labor and it's not that hard to do so just follow the write ups on the forum.:thumbsup:

#6 ·
I just changed both my fan clutch & water pump today. Not an easy job. I've read all the posts regarding changing the fan clutch. Most of the posts make it sound easy.:laugh: I got the tools (fan clutch wrenches) from advance auto and they basicly sucked! The 36mm wrench was too damn loose so I took Alvins (from pcmforless) advice on one post and went out and bought a big enough cresent wrench, $13.00 from Lowes. The fan kit wrench that is supose to hold the 4 bolts on the pully does'nt work great eiither. I took another suggestion from on of the posts were someone suggested to loosen the bolts on the pully and the slide the tool behind the bolts, then tighten. Worked great that way!
I did get it done without taking the fan shroud out completely. The only reason I had to loosen the shroud was to get the electric connection from the fan clutch disconnected from the shroud.

It was a tougher job then I expected. But after having done it once & figured it out now, I think it would be a lot easier if I had to do it again.

On another note...the real issue with the P0495 code (I think) was because of the water pump going bad. It was wobbly and eventually (after two weeks) shook so bad, that last night my belt came off.:bonk: I was waiting for the EFan from PCMforLess.

I hope this might help someone else who's thinking about doing the job themselves; since I've gotten so many good tips and feedback from this forum:yes:.

#7 ·
did you also replace your serpentine belt?
when my fan wobbled- it was wearing away the sides of the serp belt. I had the pump and belt replaced

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.