Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

I-6 hard starting....

24K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  ylab 
#1 ·
Have a 2002 Trailblazer 4.2L I-6 . The thing is acting wierd . You have to turn the ignition key on till the fuel pump stops running , and do it again... then it will start. Sometimes it will take 3 times .It will just crank away if you just get in it and try to start . no matter position of gas pedal it does not change anything ?? Where should I start

#2 ·
Have you changed the fuel filter recently?

If it's not that I would say maybe the fuel pump is on it's way out - or you have a very leaky fuel injector that is causing the system to lose pressure.

Any other driveability problems? Rough idle, hesitation, etc? Any dash lights on?

#7 ·
Fuel filter was cahnged 30 days ago , after starting the thing runs just fine . Fuel Pump ? ... i was always under impression that those either run or they dont
Sometimes that is true, but not always. I have seen cases where the pump wasn't putting out enough pressure. I've seen pumps that would work for about 10 - 15 minutes and then quit, after cooling down would work for a few more minutes.

I would agree, it wouldn't hurt to disconnect the battery terminals for 30 minutes and try that - but I don't think it will help. But you never know. It's cheap and easy.

#6 ·
Yes clean the throttle body. Not sure if you have MAF sensor or not but I would clean it also with MAF cleaner if you do. Probably want to change the plugs also. Put in some Iridiums. Might even want to try so really good entire fuel system cleaner.

#9 ·
Reseting the PCM will not fix a no start/hard start problem.

Reseting the PCM simply reinstalls the factory parms. When this problem is fixed, the PCM should be reset to remove "learned" driving characteristics that may not be correct because of the fault.

#10 ·
Don't think the filter would do that, the pump still only makes so much pressure. This sounds like either a fuel pressure regulator or bad fuel pump. The '02 models use an external fuel filter and its on the pressure side of the pump....possible an intake sock or pickup issue, but not the filter. Now if he had no high speed power or fuel starving, yes the filter, but from what he's describing, I don't think so.

Where do you live, can you fill out the profile? There was an issue with '02-'03 (maybe even newer) model years, that involved salt corrosion and damage to the pump/regulator housing. If you're in the salt belt, there's an extended warranty in effect to replace a failed fuel pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.