Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

LED Dome Lights Dimming

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mddombrowski 
#1 ·
Ok so I just replaced all me Dome Lights except the rear with 6000k LED These are the LEDs I used

They work amazing when you open the door or use the dimmer switch to turn them on but if you click the light they come on extremely dim.

Ill post the Lumen output of each mode later tonight. I threw a multi meter on it and when I click the button it is clearly a lower voltage ( about 1-2v) going through the light than when I use the dimmer switch or the door. I didn't know if the switch it self has a resistor in it and if it did if it could be removed

Thanks in advanced for any and all help

TJ

#4 ·
So i figured out that the connector for the light fixture has 3 lines
•black witch is neutral

•gray w/black stripe which is your Dome Supervision +12vdc when doors are open or you manualy turn them on by the dash dimmer switch

•And a red wire at +5.3vdc that is controled by the with at the light.

All i need to do is fallow where that red line goes and then tap that into a +12vdc source

#7 ·
I second EnvoyBoy2004. Very bad idea.

The red wire (it's actually orange, circuit 1732 for those of you following along at home), is actually part of the battery rundown protection feature. If a light is left on for more than 20 minutes the BCM will shut down the supply voltage (GY/BK wire) until the ignition is cycled. The BCM senses this (5V signal) on the orange wire.

If you send 12V down the orange wire, you'll fry the BCM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.