Random Strong Vibration/Shudder - '03 Trailblazer - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:17 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
pewter 4.2L I6 AWD
Random Strong Vibration/Shudder - '03 Trailblazer

Looking for insight on what may be causing this:
When driving, get random shudder/vibrations (like running on rumble strips)
*Speed does not seem to influence - happens at 25, 30, 45, 50 mph
*No alert lights on dashboard or 2/4/AWD switch
*Dealer diagnostic came up with no codes or errors on test
*Not a constant vibration
*If I brake to almost complete stop, it disappears and driving returns to normal
*Seems like rough bumps may trigger it, but then again I can drive the same path repeatedly and it may not occur every time
*Tried driving in 3rd, occurred at that gear as well
*Steering seems normal, no clunks when turning left or right
*Mechanic test drove and could not replicate, only provided 'possible issues' of motor mount, flywheel, torque converter, harmonic balancer, or engine vibration, but unable to definitively say without vehicle acting up

'03 Tbzr EXT with 215,000 miles. Replaced new tranny and driveshaft @150,000 miles. New power steering rack in 2016.

Any experiences or suggestions to help narrow down what this might be? Can't afford to replace everything on dealer's 'possibility' list - need to get it right the first time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2017, 11:39 AM

pewter 4.2L I6 AWD
Random Strong Vibration/Shudder = Death Wobble

So upon further research, it appears my issue is identical to the Jeep Death Wobble. Heading out today with a mechanic to see if I can replicate it on a few bumps. Will update if he can pinpoint the issue, what part(s) need replaced, and if the fix works.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:41 AM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Silver Mist Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I have a 05 and mine started doing that too. Then one day it let out this air break noise and no power. It goes in gear but won't engage. It's been sitting for five months and have yet to find the cause. Trans is fine, tcc is fine, everyone suggested these two or the pump was going out or the sun shell was breaking and the tcc was breaking. Just now found my interior fuse block is melted. I sure hope yours doesn't break down and u find the cause soon

Old 03-19-2017, 12:05 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Bordeaux Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Please let me know what you find out,because it has happened to me twice and can't figure out,was thinking only happened once warmed up .So I was thinking fan clutch going?
Old 03-19-2017, 09:08 AM

I definitely will. I'm having the fuse block replace this week. and come to think of it mine started doing that after I had hit a deer and had to have the radiator, fan and clutch replaced.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:18 AM

I was just thinking too. The mechanic when mine started doing it tried telling me it was my motor mount. Mines hydraulic and ones broken. But I don't see how that would cause it considering mine seemed to shutter from underneath.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:08 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Bordeaux Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Yea,I don't think mines motor mounts,I would think anytime you give it the gas and/or go over a bump (which it doesn't happen either time) It can happen on a smooth rode going straight.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:02 PM

pewter 4.2L I6 AWD
Update on Random Vibration/Shudder

Found the culprit on my '03 Trailblazer's nasty vibration is the front right differential. Was able to replicate it when I had a mechanic/GM Instructor in the vehicle with me, went through the horrible rumble and made it go away when I stopped the vehicle. He jacked it up, had me turn the steering wheel right and then showed me how easily he could move it (not supposed to budge at all).

Not being mechanically inclined I will need to pay to have this work done, so anticipating $1500-$2000 for parts & labor on differential & half axle.

Ran it to dealer today for multi-inspection to see what else is failing so I know whether to fix this thing or find a good home in the pasture. 14 yrs old, 215k miles...ain't gone run forever. Dealer didn't list the differential, but did state that the right front inner cv boot is leaking, left front axel seal leaking, idler pulley whining, fuel filter & air filter need changed. And that's just from what they did a quick visual on.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:42 AM

oh I hope that's nothing wrong with mine. Did find out my rear differential is leaking out of the plug but they said that's a easy fix I hope. So hopefully if I get mine back to going that stops the shutter. Just need to find the non engagement issue. They swear it's a electrical problem. So I hope and pray because everything else is working
Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM

pewter 4.2L I6 AWD
Hey EllisEnder, hoping your's is a quick and inexpensive fix!

Putting mine in the shop next week for better underside inspection and estimate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
vibration while driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.