Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

03 Envoy Loss Of Power - Not Sure Why?

[SOLVED] 
7K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  gstump 
#1 · (Edited)
We have a 2003 Envoy XL SLT 6 Cycl 4x4. 130K miles. Just in the last few days or so I have noticed that it doesn't have all the power that it used to have. Manily I notice it when going uphill as it's now having to kick down a gear to climbs hills it could do in a higher gear before. Also not as fast off the line. I did a search here but only see where people are getting a warning light that says "Loss Of Power". I'm not getting a warning light...just the actual power loss.

I cleaned the throttle body a few months ago and changed plugs while I was in there. Had the fan clutch go out a few years ago so I don't think that's the issue and it's been cold here but certainly not east coast cold :) Air cleaner was recently replaced. Both differentials and tranny have recently had fluids changed. Figure I will need to purchase something that will read codes but in the meantime I was just wondering if you guys could suggest things to check?

UPDATE: After researching this some more I'm thinking it might be a clogged cat so I am going to test that by removing the O2 sensor and seeing if it runs better. Will post follow up.

Many thanks in advance!

GS
West Linn, OR

See less See more
#2 ·
I was just going to say.... "It sounds like a clogged cat" just went through this at 150k.
Dont forget KEEP the old cat as it is worth around $50 for this vehicle. If you dont know any local places that will buy it there is ONLINE ones that will pay the shipping and you for it.

#3 · (Edited)
cat replacement

OK....removing the O2 sensor appears to make it respond to the pedal much better. I am concerned about driving it that way because there is some sort of wire there across from the O2 sensor hole that I don't want to get fried if I drive it so I just placed a heat shield over that (OK it's a grill plate from my BBQ :) and rev'd it in the garage. I'm convinced enough that I purchased a new Walker direct fit cat and am going to replace it today. Was supposed to do yesterday but (conveniently) found way to many other things to do.

Will post follow up.

#4 ·
Power restored!

OK. Cat replaced & power restored. The temp will not go past the 2nd mark on the gauge so I'm assuming I need to replace the stat & sensor. In process...will post back. Am also starting a new thread about the cat replacement while it's fresh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.