Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

oil filter and drain plug location

108K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  ICoull 
#1 ·
hey there, just got my new 06 tb'r. also just set up this account and don't plan on being a newbie for long....so....just wandering where is the oil filter and drain plug on these I6'S. I see what looks like an access cover underneath the engine in the middle, but don't want to start messing with things until i'm for sure. please advise. THANKS. :confused:

#2 ·
I see what looks like an access cover underneath the engine in the middle. :confused:

That's the place. Once you open that you will see the plug and you will need to reach up into the opening and the filter will be on the passengers side of the engine. The first time you change it you may have a tough time getting the factory filter off as they really tighten them to tight.

Welcome and hope you enjoy the new ride!

#5 ·
When I did mine the first time I used a socket style wrench with a socket handel that had a pivot on the head so I could angle it down and long handle to get a good turn with. I have never had mine on ramps to do this but I can see where it would make it easier but not necessary.

#8 ·
:iagree: especially about the oil everywhere part, though I've seen oil filters in worse places than the TB. Yeah, each change does get easier. One member said a while back that he takes his drill and drills a small hole in the bottom of the filter and lets it drain for a while before removing it. I just turn the filter a couple of turns with the socket wrench and give it a few minutes to drain in the pan.

#10 ·
It is messy, I've tried placing a large ziplock bag around the entire filter to catch the oil as I spun the filter off, but I still made a mess. I like the sound of drilling a hole in the bottom of the filter to drain it before removing it.

#23 ·
You are right--it is messy. Today was the first time I'd tried an oil change in one of these. The small door for the oil plug is gone, but the panel is still in place. Took it off and scraped off 170k miles of mud, grease and grit while I was at it. Windy out today, so I still need to clean the oil splatter off the driveway...
I would like to ask the GM Engineers what they were thinking with filter placement.

#17 ·
Next time I change my oil, I'm just going to remove the skid plate to make it a little easier with less scratches on my arm.
I just did it (and this is my FIRST post here, too). It looks deceptive under there since the rear of the oilpan is visible, but there is no drain plug back there.

Definitely take off the skid plate by removing the 4 outer bolts with a 13mm socket. (No need to undo the smaller access panel's two bolts)

Once the oil is drained from the engine (13mm socket), I put the bolt back in and moved the pan under the filter. I loosened the filter until oil started to come out and let it drain while I changed out the air filter and filled the washer fluid.

If the skid plate is removed, none of the oil that dripped from the filter will hit the car - only the oil pan. The filter can be maneuvered down without spilling any of it - and voila! All the messy work is done.

Thanks for the info in this post. It really helped!

Andrew

#12 · (Edited)
I changed my oil for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

I don't know why people make it sound so horrible to replace the oil filter and getting oil everyplace. I found it one of the easiest filters to replace and changing the oil wasn't messy for me. (Not unlike my Nissan P/U which was a PITA to change and messy too.)

I removed the entire access panel, not just the small access panel for the drain plug, and used a socket type oil filter wrench with an extension to slowly loosen the filter until I could see it drip. I let it slowly drip for a few minutes and then took it off with the wrench. I then put the new filter on. Then I drained the oil pan. The only area which had spilled oil on it was the built-in oil drainer underneath the oil filter; and it was minimal. Hardly even got my hands dirty.

I probably had more of a problem putting the filter on hand tight because my hands were too big to come in through the access panel. Using tblazed's trick, I had my wheels turned to the right and came in through the right front wheel well/front fender and was able to install and tighten the oil filter.

Piece of cake.

#13 ·
I don't know why people make it sound so horrible to replace the oil filter and getting oil everyplace. I found it one of the easiest filters to replace and changing the oil wasn't messy for me. (Not unlike my Nissan P/U which was a PITA to change and messy too.)
Amen to that. I've had a cpl of nissans. Talk about a royal PITA of an oil change! The 4.2L trailvoys are gravy train compared to those.

Joel

#14 ·
Oil filter and drain plug location

The 1st time, I changed mine I had a little mess, I always punch a hole in the bottom with a hammer and center punch to let them drain,the last time, I used the gallon freezer bag like, BigJohn AZ said, and had no mess what so ever, and I also take the big plate off, gives you more working room and it,s only 4 bolts.:cool:

#18 ·
Wonder if they changed the drain plug from my 02 to yours? Just changed my oil yesterday and the oil pan drain plug is a 15mm. I don't remove the skid plate.. I just drop the access door and go to it...

PS-
Noticed my oil consumption appeared to have been nearly 3.5 qts in 10k miles... Only had about 3.5 come out of the pan.. Damnit... No smoking, no dripping.. no sign of leaking anywhere... nothing under the truck (as blowby)... I think it may be time for a ring job... which means this will become someone elses headache.. more than likely... :(

Gonna keep an eye on it for now and see what happens...

#19 ·
Wonder if they changed the drain plug from my 02 to yours? Just changed my oil yesterday and the oil pan drain plug is a 15mm. I don't remove the skid plate.. I just drop the access door and go to it...

PS-
Noticed my oil consumption appeared to have been nearly 3.5 qts in 10k miles... Only had about 3.5 come out of the pan.. Damnit... No smoking, no dripping.. no sign of leaking anywhere... nothing under the truck (as blowby)... I think it may be time for a ring job... which means this will become someone elses headache.. more than likely... :(

Gonna keep an eye on it for now and see what happens...
Why? 3.5 quarts in 10K isn't that bad. That's about a quart every 3K miles give or take. GM would tell you 1 quart in 1,000 is okay. (Didn't say I'd agree with them).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.