Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

How to replace your ignition switch (pics)

416K views 259 replies 131 participants last post by  chem_man 
#1 ·
Okay, I replaced my ignition switch yesterday. I was nervous, I had read numerous posts about this, but some of them conflicted, and I wasn’t sure what I was getting myself into. I haven’t done a whole lot of work on newer car systems, although I did replace the stepper motors on my Envoy a while ago. The switch replacement was unbelievably simple, and anyone can do it.

Anyway, I decided to make this post, hopefully it’ll help someone who needs to do this in the future.

(FYI, I have a 2004 Envoy XUV, with foot pedal adjustment and tilt wheel controls on the steering column, and had no problem at all.)

First, you’ll only need two thin regular screwdrivers and the replacement switch to do the job.

Disconnect your negative battery cable. I’ve heard that you should disable the airbag, but I’ve read that others did not do this, and neither did I. Just to be safe, I tried to stay away from the front of the wheel while working on the switch.

Take one of your screwdrivers and gently pry the covers of the steering column off. They should separate pretty easily, then you just need to remove the bottom cover to get access to the switch.

Once the cover is off, you’ll see the bottom of the switch where the harness plugs in, the rest of the switch is slid up into a metal sleeve.

Take your two screwdrivers and insert them into the two holes in the metal sleeve. This pushes back the spring tabs on the ignition switch, allowing you to pull the switch assembly down and out of the metal sleeve. The pictures below have two red arrows showing where the two screwdrivers need to be inserted. The yellow circle shows where the harness connects to the switch. The last picture shows the switch removed from the sleeve, but not disconnected from the harness.

Disconnect the switch from the harness.

Look at the teeth of the old switch and compare them to the new switch. Align the new switch gear with the old switch gear. There is a gap in the gears you should see that greatly helps with the alignment.

Plug the harness into the new switch.

Insert the new switch into the metal sleeve until you hear the spring tabs engage the holes in the sleeve.

Reconnect your column cover.

Reconnect your negative battery terminal.

Start her up.

Hope this helps. Took me about 15-20 minutes to do, and most of that time was spent getting the stupid harness off the old switch.

(Moderators, feel free to relocate this post if necessary.)

See less See more
#109 ·
Ignition Switch?

I get in my TB to days ago and it won't Start. Jump it and everything is fine. I then noticed that after I lock it with the remote the aftermarket radio turns on.
I removed the face plate which should keep it from turning on, next day dead again. Now I notice that my after market gps is on in the morning after I know I turned it off. Next I unhooked the radio and the gps and it barely turns over. I was thinking the ignition switch was staying in the acc position even when I turned it to off. Any thoughts?:thx

#111 ·
Once you have the front portion pryed apart, you have to tilt the cover downwards a bit to get the internal tabs to release, then pull it towards the seat, still at a bit of a downward angle.

I would try to avoid taking off the steering wheel, unless you know what you're doing with airbags. It really isn't necessary to take off the sttering wheel though.

#113 ·
Thank you very much, Mellis.

I'm a mechanical idiot, but managed to change my ignition switch thanks to your (and others') directions in this forum. My garage wanted $250 for the job, and I did it for $61 (we get hosed for parts in Canada) and about an hour of cussing and mucking about.

I love this forum! I've saved about $1,000 in unnecessary charges in the year since I got my 2003 Envoy.

#115 ·
Hey bohlgren that Sparky YouTube Vidio on replacing the ignition switch you posted is GREAT.. Cleared up a couple small details... Pictures like that vidio are worth a 1000 words... Maybe a sticky??? Thanks to all, I think I read every post!
One question, this was on a 2004, I have a 2006 and the switch is Grey.. Does anyone know if the 2006 TB/Rainiers had the Grey switch or the Older type Black one from the factory?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PqznH9ADgA

Thanks again to all

Asparky

#118 ·
Mine went out today. Same symptom as everyone else's (ABS, Brake, and Service 4WD lights, no HVAC motor). Took it out and pulled the little covers off of it. Burnt contacts and melted plastic around the burnt contact. Local parts house doesn't have one, so I soldered in a jumper from pins A to G (I think) to power the ABS, HVAC, etc for one day until I can pick up the new switch. Works fine as an emergency repair. Will probably buy a spare just in case.

One thing I did notice, though, is that when you put the connector back on, it may be a little flaky, even if locked on. I have a long-standing habit of tweaking the pins (blades) slightly. As sockets wear against their pins, a slight twist of the pin can restore contact, by using a new surface of the pin to contact a new surface within the socket. Works great in washers, dryers, combat vehicles, and now, Trailblazers.

#120 ·
Have a problem. When I was gonna start the tb today it would not start. I have a new battery (two weeks old) and a new alternator (also two weeks old). I have all power lights come on, dash lights come on, and even the radio turns on. My girlfriend dad gave me a jump and it started. Take it to autozone to test the battery and they said it was good. He even noticed the new alternator. Since I've reading this post could it be I have a bad ignition switch? :confused::mad:

#127 ·
tell me one thing.
is it possible to start the vehicle by moving the teeth with your fingers all the way to the left? that would tell me if i have the teeth lined up wrong or if it is something else.
i installed my new switch with the teeth lined up the same as the old one. and turned the key to accessory, dash lights will turn on, then try to start it with no luck. something doesnt feel right with my key now. its like there is a lot of slack in between acc and start.
i can however turn it to acc, and start it with my remote starter.
this is a brand new ignition switch.
reason for installing is i couldnt get the car to start last night and couldnt get the key out of the ignition either. just had to let it sit in acc position all night and let the battery go dead.

#129 ·
Thank you guys, I replaced mine last week and everything has been working great. The pictures were a very helpful guide. There is also a great video how to on youtube which really helped build up my confidence doing this job.

#130 ·
please help

:worried: k I was told I needed a new ignition switch because I couldn't get my truck to start n the key was stuck in the ignition. It will not lock n allow me to get the key out. I (a clueless young mother of 5) with the help of your post n picts was able to easly replace the switch. Unfortunately it didn't fix the problem. Anyone have Any idea what could be wrong?

#131 ·
:worried: k I was told I needed a new ignition switch because I couldn't get my truck to start n the key was stuck in the ignition. It will not lock n allow me to get the key out. I (a clueless young mother of 5) with the help of your post n picts was able to easly replace the switch. Unfortunately it didn't fix the problem. Anyone have Any idea what could be wrong?
Sounds more like the ignition lock cylinder, not the electrical switch. Hopefully someone on here can help you out more than I can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.