Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Transmission Stuck in 2nd gear

15K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Ravalli Surfer 
#1 ·
Wife called me today and said her 03 GMC Envoy was shifting funny and would sometimes rev up real high. Went out to her work to check it and found that the fluid was low, went and bought 3 quarts and added one at a time with engine running checking fluids between each quart added and cycling the engine through the gears. After letting it warm up for a while I rechecked fluid and looks like I got it just barely over the mark for full. Went and drove it around and it would do fine in 1st and 2nd gear but when changing over to 3rd it would rev real high. I was able to get it home by just keeping it in 2nd gear.

ON the way home ,when trying to go into drive it seemed like it was stuck in 2nd gear. If manually changing it to 3rd it would just simply rev high and wouldn't go.

Looking for some opinions on thoughts if it is the whole transmission or possibly a fluid an filter change might resolve the issue. Doing some searching through the forums it looks like there is some talk on solenoids going bad also.

SO let me know what kind of issues others have ran into in a similar situation or point me in the way of some fixes.

#3 ·
Time to change the 1-2 and 2-3 solenoids. You can get them from NAPA. Since your in there might as well change the 3-2 and the PWM and Force Motor, you can get a set on Ebay all AC DELCO for 88 bucks, that all the solenoid and even the wire harness. Just type in 4L60E Solenoids and there you go. Also change the filter and clean the magnet and pan. 2 hours tops if your on your back and have basic tools, 13mm and small flat head pocket screw driver or curved pic.

#7 ·
Wife called me today and said her 03 GMC Envoy was shifting funny and would sometimes rev up real high. Went out to her work to check it and found that the fluid was low, went and bought 3 quarts and added one at a time with engine running checking fluids between each quart added and cycling the engine through the gears. After letting it warm up for a while I rechecked fluid and looks like I got it just barely over the mark for full. Went and drove it around and it would do fine in 1st and 2nd gear but when changing over to 3rd it would rev real high. I was able to get it home by just keeping it in 2nd gear.

ON the way home ,when trying to go into drive it seemed like it was stuck in 2nd gear. If manually changing it to 3rd it would just simply rev high and wouldn't go.

Looking for some opinions on thoughts if it is the whole transmission or possibly a fluid an filter change might resolve the issue. Doing some searching through the forums it looks like there is some talk on solenoids going bad also.

SO let me know what kind of issues others have ran into in a similar situation or point me in the way of some fixes.

#9 · (Edited)
Most anything bad in 2nd gear shifting is likely relegated to:
(1) the commanded shift never happens or is not accomplished b/o:
a. incorrect TPS values,​
b. no VSS signal (usually accompanied with no Cruise Control or speedometer,​
c. a 1-2 solenoid being non responsive, contaminated, stuck or burned out, broken or electrically disconnected​
d. very resistive associated wiring, connex, including a leaking Molex/Weatherhead Connection (SEE NOTE) where it enters the transmission above the oil pan level.​
NOTE --- ATF will be evident inside the external sealed area of the multi-pin Molex connector when it is unplugged.​
(2) other mechanical, non-electrical problems:
a. cracked 2nd gear clutch apply plate which can twist and jam or create an overlap of friction/steel clutchpack elements, resulting in no further up or downshifts eg: stuck in 2nd gear and very heavy & hardly moves in Reverse.​
b. peripheral, concentric ruptured/hardened/cracked lips of Intermediate piston can bypass fluid resulting in no upshift, loss of hydraulic apply pressure with serious clutch material burning, throwing cinder'd contamination into pan.​
c. welded Intermediate clutches (fused together and won't release..... etc.....)​
d. 1-2 shift accumulator piston stuck, fractured, leaking, cocked cushion spring, etc.​
e. 2-4 band has lost it's friction materials and has jammed to, fused or welded to, now won't release from - the Intermediate drum ...​
f. overlapped, nicked or cut and now ruptured stator rings for 2-4 apply .. these may be the infamous scarf cut seal rings from bad rebuilder morals, attitudes or corporate cheap parts decision.​
NOTE: IF the cast iron style rings were used, they may have been installed on a questionable worn out stator too. These will last for a while .... maybe.​
g. cracked or broken 2nd gear 'anti-chatter spring' has jammed the shift valve in one position only. This usually destroys the valve body.​
h. cushion pack is ruptured, or is your old used one and is contaminated and not telling the computer that the 2nd gear shift has been accomplished. The computer will not permit an upshift to 3rd until the last shift (2nd gear) has been commanded, correctly cycled, completed and reported.​
I also think I remember the possibility of the 2nd gear delay checkball blowing through the intermediate valve body plate as a culprit here too .... or I may remember that wrong.....​

NOTE --->the above (^) category 2e might have been noticed by the operator over a period of time, and has progressively become worse, 'flaring' during 2nd and 4th gear shifts until finally all or most of the friction material is either gone, burnt to a crisp, losing its holding cofficiency and the band is now metal-to-metal on the drum.

If some of this damage had been caught early enough by a transmission SERVICE .... NOT A FLUSH ... this all might have been a non-happening.

Conditions from 2a/down, will usually quickly darken and/or burn the fluid with an accompanying powerful burnt friction material-type acrid aroma. At one point, there likely was smoke ... or sudden loss of boiling/expanding fluid.

Sorry .... and I hope it's just a simple solenoid thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.