Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
114K views 69 replies 39 participants last post by  robsamdx64 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
BORKED

This is for trailvoys without the drivers information center.

1 - turn the key to the run position (do not start)
2 - fully press and release the gas pedal 3 times in 5 seconds
3 - start the engine and verify that the light went out

#15 ·
Stays at 30%, the computer keeps the info. My light came on last week and I have lost battery power between that and the prior oil change. I got right at 9,000 miles (about 10 months) between changes.

Another note...on mine anyway, when resetting the OLM, after pressing the accelerator 3x, I have to leave the key in the run position for a few seconds. The oil change light will flash and go out. After that, I turn it to lock and then start the engine. Only way I have found that my change light will go out on restarting. Otherwise it comes right back on.

#17 ·
well its good to hear that the info wouldnt be lost. i just bought my TB recently and have no idea what the oil change history was or what oil they were using so i put in some valvoline full synthetic right away and reset the oil light without any problems. i thought it might be tricky but mine reset on the first try.

#20 ·
Not hard at all. It plugs into the TB's computer port just underneath (left) of the steering wheel. i mounted mine just ahead of the instrument panel cluster (so when i am sitting in the drivers seat i can see the scan guage II). It can tell you just about ANYTHING about your TB from including the MPG & Oil Life. For the oil life an additional code must be programed that you do yourself and its not hard to do at all. All the paperwork comes with it. Go here and take a look: http://www.scangauge.com/ (It is around $169.95) But TRUST ME! It IS Worth It. Several People Here On Trailvoy WILL AGREE!!!!!! :yes: :yes: :grouphug: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D

#27 ·
Ok I have a question. My "Change Engine Oil" light comes on when I start the vehicle and stays on for about 10 seconds after all the other standard lights at startup go off. I have changed my oil and I have tried resetting it based on this thread and what is in the manual. It continues to stay on for the brief period and I can't get it to stop. Any suggestions??

#28 · (Edited)
Are you going all the way to the floor and all the way back up with the gas pedal? 3 times in 5 seconds; that seems quick, but be sure you get full travel on the pedal. After the third time, let it sit...feet on the floor and hands in your lap...don't touch anything. In just a few seconds your light should start flashing. Then it will go out and the OLM is reset. At that point you can turn the key and restart the engine and the light goes out with the others like normal. Past those things, I'm not sure.

#30 ·
Works great!

The change oil light has been on for the extended period after startup for a couple of weeks and I knew there was a way to reset it but couldn't recall it until I found this forum. Just went out and did the procedure and it worked after the second time. I don't know why I don't just come here when I have a question instead of spending time in other places and not finding an answer. Thanks to everyone.

#31 ·
Ya theres tons of info on here. After finding this site there isnt much i wont do myself on my TB. I changed my oil for the first time 7000km ago wich is longer than iv ever gone with any other vehicle. It feels weird but i guess you gotta trust the oil life program is doing its job.

#33 ·
all this talk about getting a scan gauge and there being 30% of your oil life left.....what ever happened to changing your oil at 3,000 miles????.. the light is like the low gas light,,,its not there to tell you its time,,its there to remind you youre waiting to long and your lucks about up.:dielaugh:

#35 ·
With the oils these days when you get to 3,000 miles, your oil isnt even broken in yet. Most damage occures when the oil is still new and hasnt been broken in yet. Alot of manufacturers reccomend changing oil at 24000 miles or once a year. You could change your oil every day if you wanted to but youd be doing way more damage than good.

#39 ·
Is there a way to determine what percentage the oil life is at (other than a window sticker) if you just have the change oil light system? I'd like to know where things are at ahead of time .... rather than just have the change oil light go on in the middle of a long road trip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.