Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Battery isolator coil connection

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  RayVoy 
#1 ·
Hello, all. I just purchased an '06 Envoy XL; found out GM was not going to do the extended for '07 so had to move the purchase date from next spring up to "right now". This is a great site and I've read how to hook up the +12volt to the 7-pin bargman, and how to find the 4 wires for the electric trailer brake controller. I've towed a 3,200# camper behind two small Blazers and one S-10; all did an adequate job, but I am excited to try out the Envoy with the V-8. One thing I want to do is to add a battery isolation relay; yes, I'm one of the guys that left the refrigerator on 12 VDC AND pluged into the Blazer all night. A real good guy in Wall, S. Dakota loaned me his Ford (Oh, the shame of it all!) and got me going again.

I can break the 12-volt power across the contacts, and find the ground for one side of the coil, but does anyone have a suggestion for the hot wire to pull in the coil only when the engine is running? With almost every device having it's own fuse and the computers monitoring everything, I'm at a loss for connecting the hot coil wire without causing a problem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mike

#2 ·
The envoy has run down protection for the battery, if you can get down stream from that isolator you should be ok. Connect your trailer and turn on the appliance, monitor the time it takes to shut down. For a benchmark, you could turn on your head lights and time that shutdown.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.