Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

How to: Replace blower resistor pack replacement WITH PICS!

Tags
how to
771K views 755 replies 423 participants last post by  tblsfan 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I had a shot blower resistor pack (no 1,2 or 3 speeds on the blower) so I ordered a replacement unit. It arrived today and I put it in just now. I looked around and did not see a "how to" on it, so maybe this will help some others.

Vehicle 2002 Trailblazer LS - no automatic temp controls

Time spent: about 20 minutes (spent time getting the right stuff from the garage :) ).

Part: blower motor resistor (I used parts4chevys.com so I used the drill down menu to find it, sorry I do not have the PN handy)

Tools:
7mm socket or nut driver
7/32" socket or nut driver
one long screw driver (flat blade) - optional
flash light - optional

step one: locate the two 7mm screws holding the plastic kick plate under the passenger side dash, remove them, and then carefully remove the plastic cover

step 2: look up under there and you can see the old resistor pack. It has one connector and a pair of wires going from it. Unscrew the two 7/32" screws and it will come down, unclip the wire harness

step 3: open the glovebox and empty it, now release the catch so that it can hang down

step 4: locate the end of the wires that came from the resistor pack, they are plugged into the blower, release the clip and remove them (I used a screw driver to push in on the little clip to release it)

step 5: reverse the process and install the new one :)

here is the comparison of the two

hope that helps somebody....

From the Roadie: Since everybody looks in this post if they use a search, I'm just going to add the schematic HERE for one-stop shopping

Attachments

• 73.5 KB Views: 109,362
See less See more
#5 ·
Where I ordered it from does not show the PN, sorry. I just used their drill down menu until I found

"Mechanical Catalog - 2002 - Chevrolet/Geo - Trailblazer
Hvac, Controls, Blower motor, Resistor, Resistor, s-series, bravada/envoy/trailblazer"

I also did not see a part number on the part itself.

It cost me $38 + s/h. The local dealer here wanted $60 for it, so it was better than that even with the shipping.

#16 · (Edited)
Thanks for this write up, it helped me immensely. My #5 position fan switch went out yesterday, I read this post and replaced the blower fan resistor this morning. The only problem I had was trying to contort myself inside the passenger side to remove and reinstall it. I'm 6'5" and a biscuit less than 300 pounds lol

Talking to the parts guy at the Chevy dealer, he said that this is a problem with all Chevrolets, this resistor fails quite often. He also said that usually the socket melts from overheating.

Thanks for a great post! :thx

#18 ·
It's fixed

The job went just as described in this thread didn't take 30 minutes {cause i'm old and slow} But I lost my 7/32 nut driver. eh it'l turn up somewhere.
This site is exelent i'll be here everytime I need you! I don't have much to offer yet I'm kinda dated with any car above mid 80's
Again Thanks
Tumba:woohoo:

#22 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll get around to ordering the new replacement soon enough. At least this looks to be a relatively simple and cheap fix... ;-)

EDIT- Just order from GMPartsDirect.com. Total was $38 and change. They are in NC and I'm in SC, so I should have it in a few days. Learned that GMPD is actually a subsidiary of FLOW Motors, which is out of Winston Salem if I'm not mistaken. Anywho.. hope this solves my problem with no air on fan setting 1.

#23 ·
Got the part in today. Took me all of 10 minutes to remove and replace.
Miraculously, fan speed 1 now works.. :)

Thanks again TV... :thumbsup::D

To the OP.. :thx for the pics also. Being able to get a 'visual' on things really helps me out.. :thumbsup:

#25 ·
I used these directions on 7/24/08 and found them to be spot on

I had a shot blower resistor pack (no 1,2 or 3 speeds on the blower) so I ordered a replacement unit. It arrived today and I put it in just now. I looked around and did not see a "how to" on it, so maybe this will help some others.

Vehicle 2002 Trailblazer LS - no automatic temp controls

Time spent: about 20 minutes (spent time getting the right stuff from the garage :) ).

Part: blower motor resistor (I used parts4chevys.com so I used the drill down menu to find it, sorry I do not have the PN handy)

Tools:
7mm socket or nut driver
7/32" socket or nut driver
one long screw driver (flat blade) - optional
flash light - optional

step one: locate the two 7mm screws holding the plastic kick plate under the passenger side dash, remove them, and then carefully remove the plastic cover

step 2: look up under there and you can see the old resistor pack. It has one connector and a pair of wires going from it. Unscrew the two 7/32" screws and it will come down, unclip the wire harness

step 3: open the glovebox and empty it, now release the catch so that it can hang down

[I used these directions on 7/24/08 and found them to be spot on. I had lost speeds 1,2, and 5. Part cost $53.94 at dealer

#28 ·
a while back I recall reading on here that someone (maybe it was The Roadie? I just can not remember) on here had issues that when the resistor pack went bad it got the connector that went to it really hot as well. That caused the contacts in there to have issues so that when they put the new one in there the resistance of the contact itself eventually caused the connection to get hot and then open up. They had to replace the resistor pack and the cable that plugs into it to fix it. Might be worthwhile to unplug the harness from the resistor pack and see if it looks discolored/disfigured.

#29 ·
I just ordered my resistor pack due to not having 1,2 or 3. Just found this in another forum:

Subject: EI05082 - Loss of Blower Motor Speeds Except for Low Speed or Inoperative (Replace Blower Motor Resistor and Resistor Module Connector) keyword fan #05-01-38-012C - (11/02/2006)

Models: 2004-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT

2007 Chevrolet Silverado (Classic) Built Prior to September 1, 2006

2004-2006 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL

2007 GMC Sierra (Classic) Built Prior to September 1, 2006

with HVAC System AC Front, Manual Temp Control (RPO CJ3) or Heater Only (RPO C42)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to clarify the Warranty Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-01-38-012B (Section 01 -- HVAC).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment that the blower will only work on low speeds or has become inoperative.

Correction
REPLACE THE BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR AND RESISTOR MODULE CONNECTOR.

Replace the blower motor resistor and module connector using the following procedure:

Remove the blower fuse.
• Fullsize Trucks and Utility Vehicles -- Htr A/C & HVAC 1 fuses

• Midsize Utility Vehicles -- Blower Fuse 35 located in the Underhood Fuse Block

Lower the hush panel or close-out panel enough to gain access to the resistor module connector.
Disconnect the connector from the resistor module.
Remove the tape from the wiring harness to expose the wiring.

Cut the wires back far enough from the connector to eliminate any melted insulation on the wire.
Tip
Use the old connector as a map for splicing the wires for the new connector. Be sure to use the correct crimping tool from the terminal repair kit J 38125. Use only Duraseal splice sleeves. Other splice sleeves may not protect the splice from moisture or provide a good electrical connection.

Install the new connector. Use the yellow splice sleeves provided with the connector.
Install new blower motor resistor.
Reinstall the fuse or connector block. Test the blower motor to make sure all speeds are functional.
Reinstall the hush panel/close-out panel.
Parts Information
Important: To determine which resistor to use for Fullsize Truck/Utility vehicles, search the parts catalog using the vehicle's VIN.

Part Number
Description
Qty

Connector - Resistor Blower Motor (includes splice sleeves)

Resistor -- Blower Motor (Fullsize Truck/Utility)

Resistor -- Blower Motor (Fullsize Truck/Utility)

Resistor -- HVAC & A/C (midsize utility vehicles)

#31 ·
Great thread. I was missing 1-2-3 and had no idea why. I bought my parts from parts4chevys and had the entire installation finished in 15 minutes. So far, this has been the easiest surgery on my truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.