Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

coil spacer help

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  gotspeed1 
#1 ·
has anyone used the 1"/1 1/2" coil spacers. i bought them at advance auto parts in hopes that when i put them on, i would be able to fit a bigger tire. pretty much a temporary solution until i can afford to get a real lift. anyway... i got home, jacked the truck up, and found that they wouldn't fit. the coil didn't give enough to even think about squeezing them in there. one of my buddys were able to get them in on his '88 cavalier, so i figured they would work on my tv. am i not going through the necessary steps or will they just not fit?:confused::x

#2 ·
There is no safe substitute for a real lift. Ginsu Engineering rubber spacers have been tried and abandoned by at least one member here. They're mostly laughable.

And coil spacers won't let you fit bigger tires. Look at the way the upper ball joint is close to the edge of the tire. Adding length to the coil strut won't change that relationship. It can't. It's fixed by the hub and design of the steering knuckle.

Only wheel spacers can move the wheels outwards so larger tires can fit. And they're not cheap. Read a bit in the offroad forum for what we've been doing. Real lifts, new wheels, upgraded shocks and suitable tires can cost ya $1000-3500.

Suspension spacers of any kind only give you more ground clearance under the frame for offroading. Larger tires can add to that clearance, but suspension lifts in and of themselves don't allow you to fit larger tires. They're separate projects.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.