Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

How to test Vent & Purge Valves

9K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  cmurphy84 
#1 ·
Hi, this is my first post at this site and I am hoping someone can help. I am getting a P0455 error code which is some type of large vent leak in the EVAP system. I was told to replace the gas cap, and I did but that didn't help. The next thing I inspected was the filler tube hose but havn't removed it yet for a closer visual inspection. But what I would like to know is; is there a way to check that the vent valve and the puge valve are working correctly before I go changing parts?

#2 ·
.....The next thing I inspected was the filler tube hose but havn't removed it yet for a closer visual inspection......
Welcome to the forum. :tiphat

When you check the filler tube hose, check the metal neck on the tank too....there have been tanks that had the necks cracked open.....GM will replace the tanks.

Can't help on the vent purge & valve.

#3 ·
I think the GM Tech II tool or a high end scan tool can address each of the valves using the data bus for a test. Otherwise it's a tedious wire tracing and jump wire exercise.

Sometimes, mechanics, and especially dealers, charge more for the diagnostic time than just shotgunning the parts would cost. Not certain in this case, or if you have access to a GM experienced independent mechanic.

#5 ·
Test vent & Puge valves

Yeah, I've been thinking about getting one of those scan tools; Do you know if I can just take off either the vent or puge valves and manually test them by connecting them to a 12 volt source?

I pulled off the vent valve yesterday and it seemed ok only because when I blow into it hard, the ball inside will plug the line so I imagine its controlled by some electro magnet so I'm thinking maybe I could test it by the two wire leads that go to it?

#9 ·
Thanks, that would be great to know if it is supported!
I plugged in the device this morning. Made my way through the menus till I found the command. Pressed enter and it said sending command. After about 5 seconds it said hit any key to return to menu.

I am guessing that it is supported and did the leak test. Other tests before on the menu would either say unsupported or fail. I did not hear anything unusual after the test command but I do not know what I am listening for either lol

If you live near a Harbor Freight you could try it and simply return it saying you did not like it. Returns are pretty much no questions asked with receipt.

Knowing what I know now, I would spend the money on a better device. But I am content, I simply kept it for the data logging ability.

#10 ·
Thanks for the info! I was looking at the purge valve last night, very difficult to get to. I will pull it off this weekend and see if I can test it. I will also look at the fuel tank neck, someone said that there was a call back on those because of cracking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.