Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

common problems for the 4.2

118K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  Courtneyywakes 
#1 ·
i'm looking at a trailblazer with the 4.2.. what are the common problems with them?

#13 ·
I have an 03'. No major problems. Just rusting brake rotors. I will upgrade to aftermarket on next go around.
There were some reprogramming issues, when I first got it, for a transfer case problem. Sway bar end links tend to wear out rather quickly. General opinion on this site is to stick with OEM end links. I have installed Spicer endlinks about 4,000 miles ago. To early to tell how long they will last.

All and all, its a pretty good truck. I have 31,000+ miles on it and I use all synthetic fluids (motor, tranny, diff's, xfer case, brake, Pwr steering). Next year I plan on changing out the cooling fluid.

Good luck with your new truck.........:yes:

#19 ·
CEL air pump solenoid

The only real annoyance I've had with my '05 4.2 is the CEL lit because of a bad "secondary air pump solenoid". It's been on for a year and 20K miles because I don't have $314 to dump into the dealership for some BS part and labor. By the way, anyone know how to change this part out or how much it costs?

#22 ·
The only real annoyance I've had with my '05 4.2 is the CEL lit because of a bad "secondary air pump solenoid". It's been on for a year and 20K miles because I don't have $314 to dump into the dealership for some BS part and labor. By the way, anyone know how to change this part out or how much it costs?
About $100 for the part and 15 minutes with a ratchet to change it. It's dead-easy to swap (been there, done that)

Cheers!

Gary

#25 ·
mine was great till 199,000 except fan clutch ...at 199,0000 changed water pump, alt and power sterring pump...will buy another when this one dies

#27 ·
Where to begin...I've had my '02 for a little over a year. I bought it with 77k on it, now it has 90k. So. far I've had to replace the fan clutch, transfer case control module, sway bar end links, water pump, spare tire carrier, and my personal favorite - the steering rack. It's a great vehicle in between problems, but every couple of months there is a new trip to the parts store and an adventure in the garage.

#28 ·
I have a 04 envoy with the 4.2, motor wise the only issues I've had is thermostat, coolant temp sensor, power steering pump, and oil pressure sensor. Has 226k though, so it's not too bad. I'm also the 2nd owner as well though. Also changed the entire front suspension , and my front dif blew. But other than when it breaks it's great. Pretty sure all that stuff blew because the previous owner was just terrible at anything maintenance though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.