Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Weird Wiper/Washer Problems... Common?

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Bearcat 
#1 ·
Guys and Gals,
First off let me apologize if this is a repeat thread I searched around for awhile and couldn't find anything directly related.

Here's the thing. I haven't had my TB but for about 2 months, bought it used, etc, etc. I have had no problems out of this thing so far. This really isn't a problem since I keep my TB garaged and detailed 99% of the time. The other day while driving out of town at night with the normal bugs and such smacking into the windshield, I hit the Window washer on my front winshield wiper control. The wipers came on as per usual but no washer fluid comes out.:duh: First though of course was no fluid. Well I stop to refuel, pop the hood and have a full tank of washer fluid. Next step, try it with just the key on to see if I can hear the pump, possible fuse problem. No pump sounds, headed to the fuse box. All fuses are fine. Well I clean the windshield the good ole fashion way with the wand at the gas station and hit the road again. Well I'm still not pleased with my finding so I start fooling with it heading down the road to no avail at first... :undecided

Just for sh*ts and giggles, I hit the washer for the back windshield and wouldn't you know it, it starts shooting fluid out the front wipers but they aren't moving. So i flip on the front wipers and push the rear wiper button and looky there it works up front!!! :crazy:

Then I cut the rear wiper on and hit the front wiper washer an it works out back but only while both front and rear wipers are going.... :confused: Am i going crazy??? :weird:

Sorry it's so long, but I had to explain it.
:thx

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like the truck has been repaird before. Find the pumps, and switch the hoses around.

We check them every time we do stuff with them, to make sure they are firing right.

So, just switch the hoses around.

#3 ·
You think so??? Even though the back one doesn't work on its on by pushing the front washer? I could understand what you are saying if they were just reversed, but for the back washer to work... BOTH the front and rear wipers have to be on then and only then can I push the front washer to spray the back windshield. Am I making any sense? I think I'm starting to confuse myself here. :ugh:

#4 ·
Ok...wierd, yes :yes: & here's why...

The rear washer the rear washer is controlled through the BCM (from the switch, to the BCM, then through the rear wash relay #38 to the rear pump)& the front washer is directly controlled through the switch (to the wiper motor, then to the waser relay #42, finally at the front pump)

Sounds to me like the front pump failed (or their was a circuit concern that someone couldn't figure out) and the person switched the connectors at the pumps you may even see one pump completely disconnected :duh:

Based on the schematics, I'd bet this is exactly what's going on :yes:

#5 ·
You make a good point here. Like I said before it's really not a problem since I don't use the washers very much (any vehicle) but thanks for the breakdown of the wiring. That makes perfect sense. Thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.