Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

OBD code P0449

154K views 66 replies 32 participants last post by  cdmixer 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 TB 4.2L w/ 44,000miles. Driving alond one day and the check engine light pops so i run to Autozone and find this emission code P0449 to be the problem. Now the rep. there explained to me and im not emission savvy by any means. If you have any info reguarding this issue i appreciate the feedback. I havent noticed any degraded performance and i have tried putting a can of Seafoam in the tank with no change also. Thanks again!

#40 ·
Hi guys, I just replaced this part after reading through this thread. I got the 449, replaced the part, and cleared the code with my reader. First start, no problem. Second start, light comes back on, same code. Tried disconnecting the battery just to be safe, same thing. I'm lost. Any ideas?

#42 ·
P0449 DIC Code Evap Emiss. Vent Valve Solenoid

Forum Members: Son now has my 2002 TB, but I'm still an avid reader
of The Forum. Members helped us last week with repair of drivers side remote control mirror on the TB. I'm getting a P0449 Emissison Code on my 2007 Cadillac DTS and was looking througn the postings. I'm having a problem finding the location of the solenoid to determine if this is something I can replace myself. Any help out there for me with a Caddy problem? Thanks much.
Steve M.

#43 ·
P0449 Error Code

I replace the EVAP Vent Solenoid in my 2006 Trailblazeer today. I found it on a bracket on the back of the gas tank. I removed the valve from the bracket by sliding it off, then I was able to disconnect the vacuum line and the electical connection. Don't forget to lift the tab on the electric plug and push up on the two parts of the clip holding the vacuum line on. It was not as difficult as some of the descriptions sound. I found the part in a local parts house under: STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # CP422 More Info {#10293954, 21996868, 25658328, 25950499} The last number was the one I was originally looking for. the part cost me $26.87 plus tax. this part was made in the good ole US of A.

#45 ·
I replace the EVAP Vent Solenoid in my 2006 Trailblazeer today. I found it on a bracket on the back of the gas tank. I removed the valve from the bracket by sliding it off, then I was able to disconnect the vacuum line and the electical connection. Don't forget to lift the tab on the electric plug and push up on the two parts of the clip holding the vacuum line on. It was not as difficult as some of the descriptions sound. I found the part in a local parts house under: STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # CP422 More Info {#10293954, 21996868, 25658328, 25950499} The last number was the one I was originally looking for. the part cost me $26.87 plus tax. this part was made in the good ole US of A.

:iagree::iagree:

I also have a 06 Trailblazer LS , same issues ...code p0449...bought evap canister vent solenoid ,
lowered spare tire and checked all around gas tank, and cant find it.
could it be under the hood ?
You don't need to remove the spare.

#47 · (Edited)
P0496 Replaced Purge Valve solenoid... It was easy!! 2006 TB Inline 6

The easiest way to replace the purge valve is to do it under the TB/Envoy. It is mounted on the engine block, just under the intake manifold on the drivers side of the engine. The only way I could see doing it without cutting my arm/hand was to get to it under it. There isnt much access from the top, and just a small opening in the wheel well. I first removed the wire harness from it, and then removed it from the mounting bracket. Then disconnected the two lines/hoses. Putting it back on took less than 3 minutes...

I got the part from Advanced Auto Parts. The part number is 2141680 and it cost $30.79... And it is even a genuine AC Delco part...

#49 ·
Okay so i installed both parts on friday and cleared the codes, so far nothing has come back, i've got my fingers crossed it stays this way.

As for installing, took about 1.5 hours for both. I found it easiest to do the rear by removing the spare tire and creeping under from the back.

For the part on the engine i did everything from up top. I couldn't reach from beneath. It was easiest for me to first disconnect the wire connector. Then remove the solenoid from the mounting bracket, and then remove the two hoses/tubes. The rear hose was a simple squeeze connector, while the front one had a weird tab that had to be disengaged. If you follow that front tube it goes up top and there is the same exact connector on the other end that is easily visible. I used this to figure out how the connector worked.

Hopefully this problem is solved for me.

Thanks again for all the helpful info in this forum.

Nate

#53 · (Edited)
I found the part at O'reilly. The store close to my house actually had it in stock. They call it a Vapor Canister Purge Valve. This is for the solenoid that is located to the rear of the gas tank. My old one was corroded and busted. It was easy to replace once I jacked the passenger rear tire up and went under.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BWD0/CP512.oap?year=2008&make=Chevrolet&model=Trailblazer&vi=1441133&ck=Search_10293954_1441133_771&keyword=10293954

Price was $22.99 when I bought it.

#54 ·
not sure if it was posted

06' TB Ext LT

Greetings,
I am not sure if it was posted. I tried to read all posts, but there were too many. I wanted to warn installers to be careful of the clip on the old unit. I tried to push the clip out and broke it in half.

I reinserted it as it was until I can go to the Pick-n-pull and get another one. I would suggest pushing it from underneath, and then use needle-nose pliers to pull it the rest of the way.

#55 ·
I've been getting the P0449 code for a while now and finally got around to changing out the vent value solenoid (the one on the side of the gas tank). Removal and install of the new one was a cake walk. After I was done, I hooked up my code reader and erased the code. After driving for less then a 1/4 mile the CEL was back on. I checked the code and its good old P0449 again. What should I do next? I see some people saying gas cap but wouldn't the gas cap light come on if that was the problem?

#56 ·
P0449

thats not the module you should of replaced. it is never the one by the gas tank, the one on the side of the engine is the one you need to replace! It isnt a bad job, and you can also find the part at Rockauto for alot less, or through my other post on here. I supply the part number too!

I got the part from Advanced Auto Parts. The part number is 2141680 and it cost $30.79... And it is even a genuine AC Delco part...

Rock auto has it for $15.69...I just looked it up. Type in purge valve once you select the year make and model of your truck...either envoy or Trailblazer. Here is a link to it:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1321932

#57 · (Edited)
I'll give that one a shot too. I was just out looking at the purge solenoid on the block to see how easy it was to access. I was going by what others had done by replacing the vent valve solenoid. Which I also just discovered apparently wasn't bad at all because I hooked the old one up to 12v supply could clearly hear the solenoid activating as I touched the pos lead to the terminal.

Considering the failure rate of these things would it be advisable to switch to the airtex/wells version of this or stick with the delco part?

#58 · (Edited)
P0449

it isnt bad, I would do it from undernieth. Jack up your truck and do it from the underside... I took it off through the side and installed it from the bottom side. Much easier! You dont have a bolt to remove holding it on, there is a "plastic button" that holds it on, depress that and pull it down then remove the hoses and 2wire connector. After you do it the first time you will say wow that was easy!

I have the Ac delco part...havent had any problems from it. approx 20,000 miles since it was changed!

#59 ·
Replaced the purge valve solenoid today, took all of 15 minutes. Cleared the code with my code reader. Started up the engine, within 30 seconds the CEL was back on throwing the same 0449 code. Any ideas on where to go from here? I've replaced both the purge valve solenoid and the vent valve solenoid now and still getting the code.

#61 ·
I hate to ask but did you make sure the gas cap was tight...and all the obvious stuff?
I replaced both parts as others have done and got the code again. I then went back and added a new piece of pipe from purge valve solenoid back to the big box near the fuel filler area. Used some heater hose and 2 c-clamps, After I did that, I reset the code and it hasn't been on in almost 3 months and 2000 miles.

#63 ·
just got the chance to change it today, pretty simple, drop the spare tire, the valve was on the right side of the gas tank, pulled main fuel line to the valve, release the wiring harness, use a flat head screw driver to release valve part from the bracket. Replace with new Part # 21996868. :woot::woot:

#67 · (Edited)
Regarding solnoide

Ok I found the location.

But quick question, when I plugged onto the solenoid it was tough to get the plastic nozzle far into hose with white plastic locking grip. I was only able to get it onto the solenoid this far. See picture with red dots, those red dots indicate how far I was able to get the hose onto it.

Is this ok? Is the hose suppose to go past that onto the ribbed slightly elevated round piece?

(FYI my check engine light did go off) I just want to verify that I am safe where I have it or if it really is suppose to go all the way over the plastic ribbed piece.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2a0kg1z.png

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.