Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Engine Block heater

11K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Frostee 
#1 ·
Where would the plug for the engine block heater be located? On the RPO code list for my TB, it says I have one, but have never been able to find the plug.

I'm not a big fan of plugging in a vehicle over night, but with the temperature forecast to go as low as -28*C (-18*F) with a windchill of -41*C (-42*F) , I'm thinking it may be a good idea so that the TB starts in the morning... :x

#2 ·
It's in a pouch right behind the battery :yes: When you plug it in, you should hear a ticking sound. We've never used it, but it's -18*c here w. a -30*c wind chill!!! :eek:

#4 ·
It's in a pouch right behind the battery :yes: When you plug it in, you should hear a ticking sound. We've never used it, but it's -18*c here w. a -30*c wind chill!!! :eek:
ive never used it either (obviously). but i can only imagine the hard time any vehicle is going to have tomorrow starting (unless its in a garage out of the wind) :(

#3 ·
The block heater is actually an engine coolant heater. It looks from diagrams like it located under the PCM, and the 110v connection is on a cable which runs from the heater to a connector enclosed in a shroud with a two bolt flange. Can't tell from the picture where the flange is bolted. Hope this helps.

#6 ·
well, i just discovered that my autostart has a 'cold' mode. so i set it to turn on for 15 minutes whenever it goes to -20*C (-7*F) or lower. then it keeps doing that every 2.5 hours...

its too cold to even go look for the plug :no:

#19 ·
frostee, which remote start did you install? just curious...
i didnt install it, was there when i bought it used. its an 'AstroStart'... sounded kinda weird , but according to an alarm guy here, they are a pretty decent brand.

http://www.astroflex.com/

i was planning on replacing it anyways, since i also want an alarm w/ remote start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.