Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Trailer Plug Corrosion?

10K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Spong 
#1 ·
Last night I found that my trailer plug was corroded on the backside of the plug where the wiring harness attaches. Has anyone else seen this? Only 10,200 miles and 13 months of use on the TB. It's never been submerged or anything.

The Trailer plug removed from the bracket under the bumper

Backside of the plug with corrosion in the bottom of the plug

See less See more
#3 ·
On yours does the plug mount at about a 45 degree angle? Mine does and this corrosion is at the bottom where water would sit if it got in there.

I might put some clear silicone or something on the new one to try to seal it better. :undecided

I called the dealer and they are going to replace it when I'm up there tomorrow.

#5 ·
Try using some of that dielectric grease when you reassemble it. It should be available at any auto part store. Sometimes it's called bulb grease or spark guard. The big tubes are cheaper than the small tubes many times. I got a big tube at NAPA about ten years ago and still have more than half left. A little dab goes a long way. I haven't experienced any corrosion problems on connectors I've sealed this way.

#16 ·
Funny thing is, the side under the little flap door (where the trailer plugs in) looks all nice and clean! It's the backside where the corrosion is. So if you want to check, you have to get under there and unplug the harness from the back of the assembly.

#17 ·
Silicone/dielectric grease does hang around for a long time & will keep moisture off the terminals. Without being sealed off, that plug will attract road grime and still fill up with crap. Not much you can do aside from inspect the plug from time to time. The back of the truck collects all the junk.:sadcry: Spong, IMO, it's not a bad idea to fill the back of that plug with a silicone sealer. You could dig it out should you ever have to replace the plug.

Joel

#19 ·
Silicone/dielectric grease does hang around for a long time & will keep moisture off the terminals. Without being sealed off, that plug will attract road grime and still fill up with crap. Not much you can do aside from inspect the plug from time to time. The back of the truck collects all the junk.:sadcry: Spong, IMO, it's not a bad idea to fill the back of that plug with a silicone sealer. You could dig it out should you ever have to replace the plug.

Joel
I'll probably put a bunch of dielectric grease in the bottom and then maybe a bead of silicone around the top.

I was ticked when I found out that my Envoy did not come with this plug from the factory. Does anyone have an aftermarket source where the replacement will not cost $60?

Thanks!

-- Dan Meyer
:undecided You might want to look again. I'm pretty sure it was standard on all of them. It should be located tucked under the bumper to the left of the reciever hitch.

#18 ·
I was ticked when I found out that my Envoy did not come with this plug from the factory. Does anyone have an aftermarket source where the replacement will not cost $60?

Thanks!

-- Dan Meyer

#20 ·
Well the dealer gave me a new one today under warranty. I put a whole bunch of dielectric grease around the pins before plugging the harness in the back. I also put a bead of clear silicone around the edge that meets with the harness plug. I guess we'll see how long this one lasts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.