Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

tricks to spark plug installation??

6K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  lfdff21 
#1 ·
I have never seen a set up like the TB's for spark plug install. They aren't hard to get at but is there any way to know for sure that the spark plug cap has actually "seated" fully onto the spark plug? That gay metal cap/plate on top prevents you from being able to push the rubber boot/cap onto the spark plug all the way. Anyone had this issue and have suggestions??

#3 ·
tblazed said:
Metal cap or plate? On mine all that I see is the top of the coil- the coil electrical connector, it's heatsink, and the bolt that secures it. There's only one way the coil can go on, straight down onto the plug.
Well thats what I meant (metal cap etc. = coil, heatsink etc.), but I swear it didn't feel like it completely seated onto the spark plug. I guess I would certainly know if one cylinder wasn't getting spark. How far can a spark jump if the plug cap wasn't all the way down?

#4 · (Edited)
If you look, there's a compression spring inside the boot part that fits down onto the plug. That spring makes contact between the plug and the output of the coil. If the spring's there you're OK.

6,000 to 10,000 Volts under the right conditions can jump an inch depending what it's jumping from and to, and the humidity. These coils can probably produce a lot more than that.

#5 ·
tblazed said:
If you look, there's a compression spring inside the boot part that fits down onto the plug. That spring makes contact between the plug and the output of the coil. If the spring's there you're OK.

6,000 to 10,000 Volts under the right conditions can jump an inch depending what it's jumping from and to, and the humidity. These coils can probably produce a lot more than that. But they will only produse what it takes to jump the spark plug gap.
Hey thanks for the info.

#6 ·
spark plug installation

Months ago I found detailed pictures of how to install spark plugs and what kind are best. That was about 6 months ago and now #4 plug is messing up with the "check engine light" on.
I didn't save or misplaced where it was saved. The pic's were great and I need to see them again. Thank you.

#9 ·
spark plug

I worked at a chevy dealer for 25 years as far as the boot not seating all the way I never had a
problem with a coil assembly not seating correctly and all we did was push coil assembly down onto spark plug and tighten coil assembly bolt to spec.I would not be to concerned to much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.