Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Fuel Leak Recall in the works Trailvoy 2002-2003

322K views 546 replies 228 participants last post by  DDS-029 
#1 ·
#6 ·
I don't see any rust in the gas tank area, but it could be something serious. I hope we get a new tank/pump, I love driving the G6 rental...or the 06 impala :undecided

#12 · (Edited)
this is freaky. yesterday, i noticed that the TB chewed through almost 1/2 a tank when i only did 55kms to and from work! :eek: :mad: and i noticed almost like a burnt gas/oil smell afterwards...

I'm eager to see if they do issue a recall and who it applies to...

EDIT: I just did a search on the NHTSA website, and found this. Search was done under my model TB (SWB):

NHTSA Action Number : PE07013
NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : N/A
Make / Models :
CHEVROLET / TRAILBLAZER - 2002-2003
CHEVROLET / TRAILBLAZER 360 - 2002-2003
CHEVROLET / TRAILBLAZER EXT - 2002-2003
CHEVROLET / TRAILBLAZER EXT 370 - 2002-2003
GMC / ENVOY - 2002-2003
GMC / ENVOY 360 - 2002-2003
GMC / ENVOY XL - 2002-2003
GMC / ENVOY XL 370 - 2002-2003
GMC / ENVOY XUV - 2003

Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Component : FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE: DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP
Date Investigation Opened : March 12, 2007
Date Investigation Closed : Open

Summary:
ODI HAS RECEIVED REPORTS ALLLEGING THAT THE FUEL PUMP MODULE (FUEL SENDING UNIT) CORRODES AND LEAKS FUEL. THE MODULE IS LOCATED IN THE FUEL TANK AND ITS TOP IS EXPOSED TO ATMOSPHERE. COMPLAINANTS REPORT BOTH SMELLING GASOLINE ODOR AND OBSERVING FUEL DRIPPING FROM THE TANK. ODI HAS OPENED THIS INVESTIGATION TO FURTHER EXAMINE THE ISSUE.

#42 ·
I noticed (when I fixed my sending unit on my SWB) the tank design is horrible. The unit is sunk about 1" from the top of the tank. My unit was covered in wet dirt, mud... and, for me, salt for the most part of the year. The unit was covered in severe rust and I could push a hole in the outlet/return tubes with a bic pen.

I really hope GM isn't going to shaft us SWB guys cuz I've seen first hand how bad it can get.

Is there anywhere we can call to make sure they know of every single case of this problem ... even if we dont bring our truck to the dealer?
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm The on the side "File a complaint"

I would say start there. The case number is at the top of this post.

#14 ·
the mechanics where i park at work mentioned the smell of gas and that the TB was hard to start when they needed to move it. it was like the engine was being starved. they noticed a puddle too when they finally got it moved. i hadnt had any starting problems until tonight, but the gas smell is getting more obvious.

i went by a dealership on my way home, they didnt have any time today and probably none tomorrow, so im going to book it in for monday. i also called GM about this to ask since it is under investigation, what my options are. im supposed to get a return call tuesday about it, and was told it was going to be looked into. but i still need the dealership to look.

i'll post when i find out more :)

#17 ·
Does anyone know if this would include '04 models built in '03? I smell gas every once in a while also. Makes me wonder if this is where my gas mileage is going:undecided
that would only be determined by what years they decide got certain models of fuel pump assemblies (VIN ranges). do if yours eds up in that range, yes. if not, then it probably wouldnt be covered. (although im just guessing)

#18 ·
I posted a similar issue that my TB wont start right away. The dealer cleaned the wiring harness that feed the CP sensor and the knocks sensors. Its fine when i get it started, then drive and start it right away again. BUT if it sits for a while like overnight, it wont turn over right away.. I don't know what the deal is.. The only thing i changed was the battery, and did an engine degreasser

#19 ·
this is what im observing after the TB running for 2 minutes (pics are kinda hard to see the drips, but they are there).

at the rear of the gas tank:

and it's puddle:

the front of the tank:

and its puddle:

this, again, is only after 2 minutes after being cranked. before, the ground and underside were bone-dry :no:

#25 · (Edited)
No warranty, since I bought used. And the investigation part is unchanged on the NHTSA website. Of course, since I'm in Canada, that may or may not affect us north of the border once completed (usually we'll follow the same recalls, but there is no guarantee).

I'm still awaiting a return call from Customer Service though, to see what they have to say since it is under investigation.

EDIT: Customer Service has said to keep any receipts of the work done, so that if it does become a recall issue, I can get re-imbursed for it. But since it is not a recall at this point in time, there isn't much for them to do.

#28 ·
According to the NHTSA website GM has until May 7th to respond with all of the info that has been requested. Given that time frame a recall wouldn't be issued until early summer at best. I too am waiting for this because I have a receipt for a $752 repair from last month for the fuel pump module.

#34 ·
it has taken forever to track down the proper part #. the original part is 88966950, but that part is no longer in use.

new part number is 88966952 for the fuel sending unit.

mine is supposed to be done Tuesday

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.