Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Spare Tire Secondary Latch? and Tire Rotation Puzzler

9K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  kevakasper 
#1 ·
Okay, this really could be 2 separate threads but they're related so.......

Earlier today I decided to check the pressure in the spare since I've not done so since buying the truck over a year ago. Lowering the spare is basically the same setup as other vehicles I've owned so should be a piece of cake. After winding and unwinding for the better part of 15 mins. I decided to do the unthinkable.........:no:

WARNING! THOSE WITH WEAK STOMACHS OR PACEMAKERS MAY NOT WANT TO READ BEYOND THIS POINT!

I referenced the owner's manual for instructions.:eek: (insert sound effect from scary scenes in Psycho)

Apparantly, there's a Secondary Latch which helps to keep the cable from being able to loosen and drop the spare. If it's engaged, the manual explains how to drop the tire using an alternate method. Hmmm..... news to me.:undecided

While thumbing through the manual for the info mentioned above, I noticed a diagram showing the recommended path for tire rotation. The graphic shows the right-front tire replacing the left-rear tire and the left-front tire replacing the right-rear tire. So did I not get the memo when it became okay to switch sides of the vehicle with a tire when rotating or is the author of our manuals on crack?! :weird: In my manual which is for a 2005, it's in section 5.

Oh yeah, the pressure in my spare was only 15 psi. but now it's a comfortable 40! Check yours if you haven't done so for a while.

Coach Steve

See less See more
#2 ·
Although the manual states that you should cross sides when rotating the tires, most tire guys will disagree

I don't know if I'm explaining this correctly, but the steel belted tires learn the rotation and if you switch sides, the belts could shift in the tire

I would (and have myself) stick with rotating front to back, don't cross them :nono:

I'm sure someone else will chime in with more information regarding the rotation :yes:

#3 ·
A lot of the concern now days is with directional tread patterns. The ones that aid water dispersion and aid traction etc.

If it has a generic type of tread pattern there is apparently no harm in the criss cross rotation.

Now that's what I've read. :m2:

#11 ·
u have to go front to back on directional tires... but if u have non dicrectional (cheapy ones that dont have a specific pattern) then those can be criss crossed to even out the wear and tear on the tires... but as a guess i would say that around 70% of tires are now directional so i would just keep with fron tto back if u cant tell the different between the 2...

i think i need to mess around with my spare to make sure i knwo how to get it down lol

#5 ·
I've always just swapped them front/back. As far as the "secondary latch" for the spare tire, from my understanding, that's in the event the winch freezes up and the tire wont lower. I guess you mash the jack up against the center stub on the cable hub @ the center of the spare and the hub will release from the cable, allowing you to drop the spare with an inop winch.

Joel

#6 ·
I swap em front to back as well, but I understand that the modern radial tire can be cross rotated. There are some patterns that have direction requirements, but not sure if that requirement is found on truck tires. It does tick me that a new unused tire sits under the truck.

Ray

#7 ·
Dear god the tire mfgr's messed this one up forever. Sit back it's tire history time. In the early days of radials the tire mfgr's would blame a bad tire on anything they could(in the end they just could not make a reliable product), thus in 2007 I still get asked this question at least 10 times a week. For the better part of the last 30 years all major mfgr's recomend some sort if cross in your tire rotation. The only time it is not recomended is if you have a directional tread pattern. As I tell all that ask this question, you can still do what you feel safe with.:m2:

#9 ·
Try WD40 and winding it up and down a few times. The wire is on a spool up ther a can bind up. Or on the shaft there may be a cotter pin that keeps the 2 parts from slipping. The pin always breaks on 1/2 ton Chevy/Gmc trucks and suv's. It's dark out now so I can't look untill tomorow.

#12 ·
While thumbing through the manual for the info mentioned above, I noticed a diagram showing the recommended path for tire rotation. The graphic shows the right-front tire replacing the left-rear tire and the left-front tire replacing the right-rear tire. So did I not get the memo when it became okay to switch sides of the vehicle with a tire when rotating or is the author of our manuals on crack?! :weird: In my manual which is for a 2005, it's in section 5.

Coach Steve
Yeah I saw that in my manual and was surprised. I've had my tires rotated a couple of times at the dealership and they both used the criss-cross method. I believe that GM knows what is best for their vehicle.

This was discussed a while back in another thread.
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=19467&highlight=tire+rotation

#13 ·
Hey man, not all non-directional tires are "cheapy", the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos are not and they are not cheapy tires, neither are the Toyo Open Country A/Ts I have. I know what you mean, but its not "cheapy", usually more performance oriented tires are directional (Toyo Proxies, etc).

#19 ·
spare tire winch

I just had a winch go bad on my express van, although it is basically the same on my TB. There is a saftey catch on the lower part of the winch assembly. If the cable were to break, the catch prevents the tire from dropping. I had to cut mine off due to the winch being hosed up. It has to do with the spring tension on the bottom which keeps the catch from catching. if you lose tension on the spring....broken cable etc. it will engage the catch and it is a bear to get off!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.