Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

led dome light dim when i press the light

14K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  Ravalli Surfer 
#1 ·
I bout the 6 led 194 lights from v-leds.com and they are very bright. one thing i noticed is when the doors are closed and you hit the dome light to turn it on it is very dim. as i said they are bright when the doors are open but when you hit the light to turn it on its very dim. any thoughts?

#2 ·
Hey bud please update your profile. So we know what your have, so we know what your working with here!

Thanks!

EDIT : thats wierd your screen name banner just has you join date and post count:weird:

your profilesays this
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle Color: Silverstone Metallic
Vehicle Make: Chevy
Vehicle Model: TrailBlazer LS
Vehicle Drivetrain: 2WD

#7 ·
one solution;

everytime your LEDs dim just simply pull down the sun visor & open the mirror until the Filament Bulb lights upp and watch how all your LEDs balance out, well for that ride, same problem will occur when you turn your car off for a certain amount of time, but again; it wouldnt hurt to keep pulling ur visor down and fixing that minor problem, besides its a one time thing when you get in your car.

:hail:

#8 ·
everytime your LEDs dim just simply pull down the sun visor & open the mirror until the Filament Bulb lights upp and watch how all your LEDs balance out, well for that ride, same problem will occur when you turn your car off for a certain amount of time, but again; it wouldnt hurt to keep pulling ur visor down and fixing that minor problem, besides its a one time thing when you get in your car.

:hail:
Ls's dont have mirror vanity lights...

#9 ·
Sorry to bring this thread from the grave, but this issue is exactly what I have going on.

Just installed some LEDs for the interior. They are bright and crisp when unlocking the door from the remote and opening the door. However when I press the button to turn them on they are really dim. I thought the visor suggestion was crazy, but had to try.. What do you know.. the lights brightened up. Now is there a fix for this so that you don't have to pull the visor down or twist the manual knob to turn them to 100% on.

Thanks

#10 ·
I am having the same problem with my LEDs. My new lights have 9 LEDS in each and when I unlock the car and open the door, all 9 of them are on, but when I press the button, only the center LED comes on; much, much dimmer. My TB does not have visor lights so I cannot test that suggestion. Does anybody know of anything else i can try?

#13 ·
The overhead lights have 2 signals. One for when the doors are opened, and one for the reading lights. As you can see from the bottom of wiring diagram (I know it's hard to read), when the courtesy lights are activated, both inputs go hot. When the overhead button is pushed, only 1 circuit goes hot.

I noticed this same thing with my LEDs when showing them to people with the clear lenses off. Of the 11 LEDs in mine, they only fired the bottom 3 for the reading light. :mad: If you look at your bulbs (and the backside of the dome light harness), you'll see 2 contacts that go to each of the positive leads. One solution would be to jumper those contacts together, so when the overhead button is pushed, both contacts still get voltage. :undecided

Attachments

#16 ·
i had a g6 that did the same thing and when i did some research this is what i pretty much got from what i read......LED bulbs take less power than regular filament bulbs and on my g6 there was constant power to the socket, just less when the door was open or switch was on , and since the LEDs take less power they are dimly lit where a regular bulb is not. since the draw is so little you wont have to worry about the battery going down or anything but if you want it to be completely out you will need to install a resistor. hope this was helpful:)

#17 ·
Mine did the samething. What I found was that for some reason we need to have a halogen bulb in the circuit for the LEDs to burn full power. What I did was I bought a 194 bulb socket, tapped into the proper wires (IDK what colors), plugged in a 194 bulb, and tucked it up into the ceiling, behind the lights. IDK about trailblazers, but in the Envoy, there was a nice little space to place the socket and it was on bare metal so I dont have to worry about the bulb burning the headliner.

#26 ·
No --- the circuit has to "see" a decent load to work correctly and the LEDs don't provide that.

Sorry ... and for the guy who asked about the glovebox light --- I'd invite him over, ply him with lots of Mexican beers and a few meals if he'd show me where MY glovebox light is.

So far --- I've gone blind looking for one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.