Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

undate on my check engine light

8K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  bullethole 
#1 ·
i have a 2002 trailblazer LT ''EXT''a day before my appointment to get my new york state inspection, my service engine soon light came on, truck has 40,000 miles on it, ( out of warrentty), chevy checked said it was the gas cap seal leaking, they replaced it, and told me to put 200miles on the truck, then redo the inspection, so i did, and the light can back on,another code check revealed the same thing,so they put another tester on it, said it was the gas filler pipe leaking, and replaced that, retested, same code, now they found that the gas tank had a hairline crack in it,but the dealer told me that chevy is going to eat the cost of the gas tank,because even though the truck is out of warrentty, there's noway a gas tank should have a crack in it, but they had to have the gas tank fedexed, so i am with my truck for a few days.
i am sure about other states, but in N.Y., if you have a check engine light on, you car fails the emissions test of inspection,you have to have it fixed and then do a drive period[about 200miles],to make sure that, problem was fixed,any other states have this too?

#4 ·
Not sure about Cali. Never had a problem ever with any of my vehicles. Definitely glad they found the crack for ya before anything worse happened! :eek:

#5 ·
Ahh... that's why I love Connecticut:
35% Tint Law
No Inspection - other then if you move from another state to here - need to show proof of VIN
Registration is hassle free

Yeah i definitely don't miss the yearly NYS inspections, and especially don't miss the NYS DMV!

#6 ·
I can see yearly inspections good and bad,#1 well it is a pain to get it done And certain counties in PA have strict emmision inspections to. #2 some of the vehicles on the road don't look to safe as it is.

#8 ·
We no longer have emission testing here in south florida. As a tech I have seen many fuel tanks leaking where the filler neck meets the tank on the Envoys. They will set a code for an EVAP leak and sometimes a code for running rich. You can see a residue or sometimes liquid fuel around the filler neck at the tank.

#18 ·
I've noticed that this is mostly on Exts.....Not on the SWB tb's

:D :hijacked My SES light is been on for a while
P0300 Generic Random Misfire Detected
P0171 Generic System Too Lean (Bank 1)

replaced 02 sensor, light went away like for 3 days an its on again...:D :eek: help

#11 ·
In illinois, there's only emission testing around populated areas and that's all they look for is emissions.

The only safety inspection they do is if the car is too unsafe to drive on the dyno then they fail it. Other then that, if it has an engine and 4 wheels and not too high of emissions you're good to go, especially on the dan ryan!:crazy:

#13 ·
hehe.... not sure how other states do it...
California- Visual, then they put your car on rollers. (like a dyno), then they actually 'drive' it.
As in they pretend its on the road (go through the gears) while recording your emissions.
They want to see what youre putting out under certain 'loads'/mph.

#16 · (Edited)
Do they run all cars new and old on a dyno?

Here in TX, in "EPA non-attainment" counties, any that are '96 or newer the emissions part is done in park idling via the OBD2 port. We go to an independent shop and inspector with certification from the state who will plug in and run a diagnostic check. '95 and older ( like my '88 S10) they run it on the dyno with a probe up the tailpipe. Every year though, which is the part I hate about it. Safety inspection part is done at the same time by the same facility. Back in '95 they tried and failed with centralized emissions testing run seperately from the safety inspections. It lasted less than 3 months from the public outrage! When a vehicle hits 25 years old it's exempted from emissions testing.

#14 ·
In Eastern Missouri we have both the safety inspection and the emissions inspection. They are done at two different facilities and both are due every other year. We can paid for a two year license and registration which saves from going to the DVM every year.

Vizsla1822
red jewel tintcoat SS

#17 ·
Michigan says, screw clean air! No tail pipe testing here! Every once and a while we get counties not meeting EPA standards, but they always seem to manage to blame it on Gary Indiana (thanks Gary!).

Needless to say, I generally yank the cats as soon as I get a vehicle... :yes:

-Geoff

#20 ·
yeah older vehicles (75 and older) I think are now exempt in CA from smog.
But all cars tested seem to be put on the rollers.
I dont know if emissions severity varies by where you live (that is Los Angeles vs northenr CA)

#21 ·
VA requires annual inspections. Not sure about the details of the inspection, but VA does one step I've never encountered in all my years of NC's inspections and thats the removal of your tires to check rotors and brake life. But this isn't all that weird for VA seeing how we now have these new Abusive Driving Fees. Knock on wood I haven't gotten one yet, but I can't help but push on the gas a little harder every now and then...lol

But the thing that kills me about the inspections in VA is my airbag light was on, something to do with a bad connector according to the dealer I took it to the next day. And because of the light they failed me. But get this, you don't pay until after the work is done - the inspector had to get into my envoy to drive it in to the bay at which time I am sure he saw the light and could of told me he wasn't going to bother starting the ispection because the airbag light was on. I had to pay for the inspection TWICE :nono:

#22 ·
I do not have a copy of my warranty handy, but is the fuel tank covered by the "emissions warranty"? If it is not it should be. Practically everything else in the fuel system is including the PCM. I think it is for 5 yrs. or 75k.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.