Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Check Gauges/Service Engine light Flashes

49K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  SilverUnicorn 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 TB LS with about 35k miles and the I guess it is the check gauges light that flashes on and off I know it is either the Check Gauges, Service Engine, or the Security Light because it is a Yellow light on that side of the cluster. The engine seems to be hesitating as well. Took it to the dealership for this same problem in November and they replaced the ignition, but did not fix the problem. Please help!!!

Ashlee

#3 ·
welcome to you're electrical demon. A lot of TBs have this problem, and so far no one has a solution to the problem. I can't even tell what light it is sometimes. No problems come back when you take it to the dealer to get scanned either. It's just a small annoyance, that hopefully you will, like many others, get used too.

By the way, welcome to the site!

#4 ·
Welcome to the site! Since the check engine light came on and you stated that your vehicle is hesitating, I would guess the problem shouldn't be too hard to fix or have the dealer fix it.

The check gages light comes on if there is an actual problem with the reading of your gages (IE, low oil pressure, high collant temp, charging problem). The service engine soon light will either flash or stay on steady. I believe the owner's manual says if it stays on steady then you have an emissions problem and if it flashes you have a misfiring problem that needs to be fixed (since the cat converter doesn't like misfiring engines). Security light either indicates there is a problem with the security system or that it is activating (when you first lock the doors).

I don't think the check gages light flash so it sounds like the check engine light and the security light will flash when your vehicle has been messed with.

Hope that it kicked out a code so someone can have an idea on what the problem is.

#6 ·
Check engine light flashing=DO NOT DRIVE

If you are still under factory warranty, or if you have an extended warranty, contact the roadside # and they will tow it to the dealer for repairs. Onstar can take care of this as well :)

If not under warranty any longer, see if you know someone with an OBDII code scanner and post the code. Otherwise, try NOT to drive the vehicle with the light flashing...the less driving, the less repairs you will need; otherwise you run the risk of wiping out your $$$$ catalytic converter :eek: :no:

#7 ·
Yea, if it is the Service Engine Soon and it is flashing, STOP and turn off the truck. Try starting it again, but if it continues read the codes and then if necessary get it towed to a shop (you should still be in regular warrenty of 3yr/36K). Serious damage can occur from misfires, which is what a flashing SES light means.

Hope you figure it out, its a pain not being able to drive...

#9 ·
Ashlee, I guessing from the way u wrote ur desc, the light flashes on and then off real fast and that u can only catch a yellow light flashing in the dash. If so, it might be some other light. If my interpretation is wrong, I'll go back to sleep :) , but if right, it could be ur lift gate open light. Hit a small bump and it moves enough to flash the signal. Any way, welcome to the site and lots of luck.

Ray

#11 ·
thanks

It is not the gate ajar because that is on the other side...the light flashes real quick and if you are not paying attention you won't even see it which is why i am not sure exactly which light it is...i just know it is right around the service engine, security, and check gages light....no codes show up when it is hooked up to the machine...

ashlee

#12 ·
Ok well you can rule out the CEL indicating a misfire condition because IIRC, the CEL will blink until the next key-on if a misfire is indicated. It wont just do a 1/2 blink and disappear to indicate a misfire.

You know, I think the 1st thing I'd do at this point would be to see if any DTC's existed. Autozone will scan for free, some other auto parts stores will also.

#13 ·
There was a thread on this same thing not too long ago. I had the same problem with my SES light coming on and going off...no codes, changed ignition switch and no change. I changed out the PCM and haven't had the problem occur since. Another member of the forum put in a new pcm and the problem started. I think GM has some bad PCM's out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.