Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Bad rear wiper switch?

13K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  jusbkool 
#1 ·
The rear wiper on my 02 Trailblazer only seems to work when it wants to. The reason I suspect the switch is the problem is sometimes, when it *is* working, and I turn it to the off position, it continues like it is in the "1" position.

Other times, when I turn it on, it does nothing, but if I leave it on for a while, sometimes it does start working.

Also, the rear washer doesn't work. (and hasn't since I bought the truck last spring)

Everything else that would point to the LGM being bad works just fine. My keyless entry, dome light, rear hatch, etc. all work like they are supposed to.

Any suggestions, before I spring for a new switch?

#2 ·
I'd go with a switch first, but keep an eye on eBay for one... I picked up a 4x4 switch for $10 shipped last week and installed it today while I had the dash apart... Hopefully it will clear up the occasional flashing lights on the 4wd indicator...

#3 ·
Dunno about the washer (is there fluid in it?.....lol). :p
Could be a kinked/ disco'd hose(?)

But the on/off issue may be that the arm is getting wedged either behind or in front of the bracket it rests on when not in use (and possibly freeing itself over bumps).

I know mine does this usually when I shut the wiper off or sometimes when I shut the hatch. I need to take a closer look at it and adjust it.

Off Topic: Where in Green County are you? I'm originally from there and have family there?

#7 ·
Dunno about the washer (is there fluid in it?.....lol). :p
Could be a kinked/ disco'd hose(?)

But the on/off issue may be that the arm is getting wedged either behind or in front of the bracket it rests on when not in use (and possibly freeing itself over bumps).
Off Topic: Where in Green County are you? I'm originally from there and have family there?
I don't hear the washer motor run, so I figure it's not the hose. And yes, it has plenty of fluid.
I also checked for the wiper getting stuck, and it's free, so no luck there either.

And, I'm near Cairo.

And if it's $350 for the body control module, I guess I *don't* have a rear wiper problem...

The switch is >$19 from parts4chevys.com, so I don't think I'll bother with a used one. Just not worth it to me to find out someone was selling it because they had the same trouble.

#4 ·
I have been having the same problem, it seemed to do it after I washed it and when it rained, so I have no clue, but a couple days ago i think it was monday evening I disconnected the battery and pulled the rear wiper fuse and check all wiring for the rear wiper, as of today it hasnt turned on by it self. Im hopping that resetting the system it cleared any bugs and stopped the rear wiper ghost. lol :D

#6 ·
yea some guys had to replace the bcm ( body control module ) from what one told me it wasnt a cheap fix either, the dealer charged him about 350 - 500 bucks. that alot for a rear wiper issue

#8 ·
I agree with you on the $350.00 bucks to fix that. I would rather remove the rear wiper and smooth it out for that kind of cost. But so far sence I reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for a half hr, things seem to be working with out a problem.

#9 ·
Bad Rear Wiper Switch? - FIXED

Turned out to be the switch. Put a new one in from parts4chevys.com and it works fine.

I took apart the old one to see what was wrong. Here's what I found. (Click on thumbnails for bigger pics)

The actual guts of the switch. Pretty simple and straightforward really.

Uh oh, what's that little loose part?

Oh, it's the piece that pushes the switch for the washer.

Apparently, it had broken off and was getting in the way of the mechanical parts of the switch and preventing it from turning off or on properly. Sure beats replacing the LGM.

#10 ·
NICE! before you fixed it, did the rear washer fluid still come on when you wanted it to? glad you got it fixed, just wondering what was the cost on it ?

My problem has been fixed, for now, I have moved some wires around in bcm, put the cover back on and rehooked the battery up and I havent had a problem in two weeks, and I have even used the rear wiper in that time frame too.

#12 · (Edited)
Bad Rear Wiper Switch? - FIXED

I have a 2002 Trailblazer LT with a wiper motor working when it damn well pleased. The washer sprayed but the wiper worked rarely. Local Chevy dealers were telling me it's a special order item for $54.00 and I'd have to come back and pick it up in 2 or 3 days. I passed on ordering it and went to the local junkyard who sold one to me for $10.00. What could i lose? Popped it in and boom!!! it worked. Washer worked as well so I lucked out after reading all the other things it could have been.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.