Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Erratic Fuel Level Gauge explained

22K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Ravalli Surfer 
#1 ·
On this forum, a lot of people have complained about their fuel level gauge acting up. I had the same problem, and started with asking the GM dealership how much this repair would cost. Hmmm, let's see: $80 to diagnose, $250 for the parts and around $450 for labor. Almost $800?! So, I decided to tackle this job myself and bought the fuel level sender unit on line for around $80. (1/10th of the cost of the GM repair). Using the article on this website for the fuel pump replacement, I did the replacement in approximately 6 hours. This is with only 1 person, and as it turned out, half a tank of petrol. I would be simpler with 2 people and less gas in the tank....... After the replacement, everything works perfectly again.

Now, I had a close look at the parts that I removed to try to understand why it had failed. Many people have written about "bad gas" causing this, and Techron fuel system cleaner might solve the problem. After looking at the pictures below, my conclusion is that there is clearly a defective part here. There are two "slide contacts", that slide across the circuit board, acting like a potentiometer (changing resistor as the tank float changes level). The sliding contacts are almost all worn down, there is only one left which probably only made the erratic contact causing my fuel level gauge to act up.

A couple of conclusions:

1. D
  2. Don't waste your money on Techron
  3. If anyone has a source to buy just the grey plastic part with the sliding contacts (probably $1 to fabricate) this would be all that is needed for the repair.
  4. Don't let the GM dealer tempt you into buying a complete now fuel pump assembly!

I hope this helps all with this same small but annoying problem!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
As an engineer, I LOVE root cause reports like this, especially with pics. Thanks! I see very similar designs in the HVAC actuators and the 4WD system front axle actuator. The contact fingers should be designed for 200K miles worth of fuel tank fillups, but noooooooooo.

The gray plastic is a custom molded part, but a real do-it-yourselfer might be able to pop-rivet a new finger assembly from some other level sensor that has aftermarket support, and therefore cheaper sources. Boy, there's some cheap ones on Ebay (for Tahoe and Impalas) that look like you could strip the fingers off of and use. If my level sender ever fails, I know what I'll be doing. :D

This one anyway, for the archives is an ACDelco #SK1158, typically $70-80 on-line. GM #88966954, list $123 - parts4chevys.com $77.

#4 ·
Had this same problem with mine earlier this year, paid the $100.00 warranty deductible and had the dealer fix it. I would say its definitely a defective part, mine failed after only 3 years of service and around 60K miles on it!

Thanks for the write up and the photos of the problem. Now if only my water pump, fan clutch, HVAC controls, t-stat, transmission, 4x4 switch and anything else that isn't designed to last over 75k (when my warranty runs out) will fail so I can get it replaced! :bonk:

#6 ·
very interesting.

The techron use- has been succesful for a few people.
Though I think most report it did not fix the issue.
If you run into this problem- and youve never run a fuel injector and fuel system cleaner.. and have many miles on your ride..... then it may be to your advantage to run a bottle of techron (I mean- why not have nice clean injectors)...
and if it doesnt work- change out the part below.

#7 ·
On this forum, a lot of people have complained about their fuel level gauge acting up. I had the same problem, and started with asking the GM dealership how much this repair would cost. Hmmm, let's see: $80 to diagnose, $250 for the parts and around $450 for labor. Almost $800?! So, I decided to tackle this job myself and bought the fuel level sender unit on line for around $80. (1/10th of the cost of the GM repair). Using the article on this website for the fuel pump replacement, I did the replacement in approximately 6 hours. This is with only 1 person, and as it turned out, half a tank of petrol. I would be simpler with 2 people and less gas in the tank....... After the replacement, everything works perfectly again.

Now, I had a close look at the parts that I removed to try to understand why it had failed. Many people have written about "bad gas" causing this, and Techron fuel system cleaner might solve the problem. After looking at the pictures below, my conclusion is that there is clearly a defective part here. There are two "slide contacts", that slide across the circuit board, acting like a potentiometer (changing resistor as the tank float changes level). The sliding contacts are almost all worn down, there is only one left which probably only made the erratic contact causing my fuel level gauge to act up.

A couple of conclusions:

1. D
  2. Don't waste your money on Techron
  3. If anyone has a source to buy just the grey plastic part with the sliding contacts (probably $1 to fabricate) this would be all that is needed for the repair.
    [*]Don't let the GM dealer tempt you into buying a complete now fuel pump assembly!

I hope this helps all with this same small but annoying problem!
Personally I would have replaced the whole assembly. Reason being GM pumps are not known for their longevity. You didn't put the year or mileage of your vehicle in your post, but if you are anywhere close to 100,000 I would replace the whole assembly. As much work as it is, I'd be ticked off if 6 months down the road the fuel pump itself dies!

Techron may not be the cure all for this problem, but as Rbarrios said it is a very good injector cleaner.

#9 ·
Sensor Replaced - Calibration in Question

Thanks for the good information. I, like so many others, replaced the fuel level sensor myself. I found a Dorman replacement for my 2005 TB. After the normally struggle with all the clips and connectors, managed to complete the task. Went to test it and had to put almost 6 gallons of fuel into the tank to move it off of empty. A few days later, when I used up all that fuel, and gage was reading E, I filled up the tank completely. I expected to put the normal 18-20 gallons in, but it would only take 16. Seems like my replacement caused the sensor to read less than what's really in the tank. I hate to disassemble it all again to "adjust" the float arm, but I don't know what alternatives I have. Anyone else run into this problem? How'd you solve it?

#16 ·
Sensor Replaced - Calibration in Question

Thanks for the good information. I, like so many others, replaced the fuel level sensor myself. I found a Dorman replacement for my 2005 TB. After the normally struggle with all the clips and connectors, managed to complete the task. Went to test it and had to put almost 6 gallons of fuel into the tank to move it off of empty. A few days later, when I used up all that fuel, and gage was reading E, I filled up the tank completely. I expected to put the normal 18-20 gallons in, but it would only take 16. Seems like my replacement caused the sensor to read less than what's really in the tank. I hate to disassemble it all again to "adjust" the float arm, but I don't know what alternatives I have. Anyone else run into this problem? How'd you solve it?
Switch out the entire evap system trust, if the issues is the tank not filling!

#10 ·
be aware there are 2 different parts for the fuel level sender, depending on if you have the Std length TB or EXT. As the EXT has a larger tank. If you put the wrong one it it could cause you to have incorrect fuel level readings.
I don't honestly knowthe part No's, but I did mine in our EXT about a yr ago when that level sender became available.
Got mine through Rock Auto.
Been workin great since.:thumbsup:

#11 ·
Mystery Solved

Thanks Gullzjr! You're spot on! I ordered the Dorman 911-013 for the TB LS (not EXT) and received the 911-014 for the EXT :x I should've been more careful with my inspection of what I received. Looks like I'll be under the truck again this weekend, putting in the CORRECT sensor & float assembly.

#12 ·
Could it be erratic pos stepper motor?

Ok I went through this issue just over a year ago and had the gauge CLUSTER replaced because all of the stepper motors were failing. Now my gas gauge when the 2005 TB EXT is turned off goes way below the redline and the low fuel indicator never comes on??? So how do you guys decide which part is causing the problem? I would imagine the stepper motor will start clicking as the gears are missing, but are there any telltale symptoms its the fuel level indicator. Just outside of my warranty for gauge cluster replacement. I would forgive Chevy if the new cause is the float mechanism but if it is the stepper motor again......

#13 ·
My symptom was an Empty gage reading and low-level indicator immediately after a fill up. It fit the well-documented description of the bad fuel sensor. The gage always returned to normal operation when the fuel level got down to about 3/4 tank. After seeing that happen 3 or 4 fill-ups in a row, I thought I had pretty good evidence that it was the sensor. I've never had anything wrong with my cluster, so I can't help you much there.

#15 ·
Just a little insight into the erratic fuel gauge problem. In years past engineers used to design vehicles as of late accountants design vehicles for all automotive corporations.The way it used to be done is the fuel tank had baffles to limit the motion of the fuel sender unit thus extending the life. Another issues is gaskets gasket failure was very seldom heard of now it's an everyday occurrence. I believe Americans are more interested in some cheap electronic gadgets on the dash than a reliable vehicle. Well that's my rant about corporate America as i am old enough to remember when they made great products and were proud of them..

#17 ·
<sigh> I give them illustrated books and they rip off the covers and eat the pages! Good Grief.

Start your own new post since this was last added to on Apr 15, 2014 and that was half a human generation ago.

In dog years, that'd be more than 70+