Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

cargo area fiberglass subwoofer box

26K views 54 replies 17 participants last post by  Sndsgood 
#1 ·
i was wondering if i was to make fiberglass boxes that would fill the entire cargo space in the rear floor would anyone be interested in purchasing them. i could make them in 8", 10", or 12" and you would just have to put your own sub in it. they would probably have to use a shallow mount sub for it to sit flush with the floor or they could be raised to allow more space for a larger sub. i plan on making one for myself and i will take pics of it when its complete.

#9 ·
+1 on a customer... would it be just a box to cover the floor tho? or would you make something along the lines of a basic box that would fit right behind the rear seats (like inbetween the rear fender wells)

somthings like this, but in fiberglass (see the attached pictures)...

this is a box tha someone was trying to sell on here... would you be able to make something like that in fiberglass?? except i would want the subs facing foward 12" subs....if not fiberglass then wood??

thank you

Attachments

#12 ·
aright everything came out alright. i layed down a second layer of cloth and ran out of resin. i ordered more that should be here today. once i get it good and strong i can start on the top. do i still have people interested? if i do i will see about becoming a vendor. i also need to know what people would like to see weather you would want something that sits flush or something that will hold a larger sub, ect.

thanks

#14 ·
what sub were you running? most shallow mount subs only require about 1 cu. ft. of air space (or less some only require 0.5 cu. ft.) in a sealed box which is just about what a flush mounted top would provide. the flush mount verion of this box is not intended to give amazingly loud bass, it will be just enough extra kick that the stock speakers won't provide. the top of the box could also be built up as much as needed to support any sub desired. the idea of having it installed in the floor is that you can add bass without sacrificing a bunch of cargo space. the plan that i had for the box in my truck is that i will be using a 12" shallow mount sub wrap the box in color matched carpet and put a nice grille over it so i can get a little extra bass and still have pretty much full use of my cargo area. i didn't buy an suv to fill it with subwoofers i bought it to hull stuff.

sorry for rambling and thank you for your interest. i should have pics to post up soon. im just waiting for it to warm up outside.

#15 ·
Yea agreed... I was shocked that I havent seen any other false floor installs!

Im running 2 dbx-12s and am running them a little shy of the recommended cubic feet :S Hope she sounds okay! I will know / have pics monday... Only problem is I may just end up with black carpet rather then matching stock box :S

#18 ·
sorry about the delay. i am still working on the box but due to the loss of my job i am starting to run low on funds. i will continue to build the first one hopefully get frame work and first layer of the top done today then ill take some pics.

thanks for the continued interest.

#21 ·
not necessarily. you can get grants and small business loans form the government and if you can find a private investor... money isn't the first thing you should worry about, i know people who started businesses with less than $100 bucks in their pocket. well, maybe not in the current economy, but if you have the drive to succeed, there is always a way.

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
i would build the box to use whatever sub you wanted in it. i had even thought about using a pair of 8 inch ma audio subs. i got my new rockford fosgate p3sd412 today so ive started my frame work i hope to have atleast the first layer of cloth down today and i will try to post up some pics. its really cold here today so its gonna be a little tough.

check out these. i want one real bad. http://mobile.bostonacoustics.com/car/car_product.aspx?category_id=17&family_id=108&product_id=459

#26 ·
yeah i could do something like that. the reason i didn't want to though is 1. thats where i plan on mounting my amp 2. i didn't want to cut any metal out, they put that stuff in there for a reason 3. i really wanted something different q-logic and jl both make boxes that go there. maybe in the future i will do something similar to that.

#29 ·
+1 on the box that fits in the floor compartment.

I have odd shaped objects in the trunk all the time, and need something that won't reduce the trunk space at all (even by an inch). And I never ever use that floor compartment, so that's a perfect spot for me.

I am looking to put one into my car in the next couple of weeks.. how quickly are you gonna start building these?

...or at least what would it cost for you to build me a 10" or 12" and send it to me right now? I'm VERY interested if you can produce something relatively quickly....

(check it out.. orders are lining up for your boxes!) :)

#30 ·
ok heres the deal. i dont have my first personal box done yet to even know how it will sound. as soon as i get it done and tested i will let you know. if you need one really quick and want it completely flat i could have one done withing a few days after testing as long as you don't mind it being wraped in black vinyl or painted with textured paint or bed liner.

thank you very much for the interst and sorry about the wait.

#33 ·
yeah like i say metal is there for a reason. if a body shop was to fix the damage they would replace the metal and an insurance company would most likelly not replace that box or sub. trust me ive worked as a body shop manager and insurance companies are cappy like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.