Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

loud whirring noise

8K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  fasheeryfo 
#1 ·
when I accelerate (I also put the car in neutral and revved) so basically when the RPM's go up, my car is making a whining/whirring noise. It was perfectly fine until this morning when I got in it.

got in my car, started it up. No noise
put in reverse, when applying the brakes after backing out of my parking spot, started shaking/shuddering and then when I applied the gas, started whining kind of a high pitched noise or like the whine of a vacuum cleaner. Any suggestions?

#4 ·
I will look into that when I get home from work.

On a side note, my dad heard the noise and was like sounds like your power steering fluid... I dunno how the increased RPM's would affect the sound if that were the issue, but it turns out the power steering fluid was pretty dry (still wet inside but no visible level of fluid)

could this have anything to do with it?

**just realized you said something about the PS pump, i didn't make the connection before haha**

#5 ·
I will look into that when I get home from work.

On a side note, my dad heard the noise and was like sounds like your power steering fluid... I dunno how the increased RPM's would affect the sound if that were the issue, but it turns out the power steering fluid was pretty dry (still wet inside but no visible level of fluid)

could this have anything to do with it?
Absolutely. The PS pump is belt driven, so it would be spun faster as the engine spins faster.

#6 ·
put in fluid, turns out I have a leak that is dripping down somewhere near the drivers side tie rod.
The noise stopped when I put the fluid in and it doesn't seem like my power steering is going, should I replace the pump or could it be a line or something?

The drip doesn't seem to be too serious, I filled the resevoir to the "H" line on the dip stick, today it is at the "C" line like 3-4mm less than yesterday. It's been about 15 hours of sitting overnight and an hour of driving altogether after putting the fluid in yesterday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.