Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Replacing the shift cable on 02 TB

14K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  khuckel78 
#1 ·
Hello;
I am a new guy here but not new to forums and a wealth of info that members may have.
My problem is I am not too framiliar with newer cars (thats why I drive a 57 Chevy) but my wife likes our 02 TB just fine.
The other day, My wife calls me and can't get the TB shifter to move! I call a mobile mechanic that works on our vehicles at work to meet me and give it a look. He gets under the car and discovers that a nylon (looks like a bushing) clip is broken and the shift cable is off the transmission. He states, showing me the part, "I'm Going to fix this so you can use the car, but you need to replace the cable".
Now, my question, Has any of you done this replacement?? do you have any photos to share or a link to a page in a manual?
I don't think (other than special tools) this would be too hard to do as I have done just about everything to my 57 you can imagine as well as some you can't imagine.

Bruces 57

#3 ·
Hello;
Thank you for steering me in a direction to find some help. The job doesn't look too hard the only thing I am concearned about is taking the console apart to get to the cable end on the shifter.
I will try the link to see if the console has an exploded view.

Bruces 57

#4 ·
Hello, Me again:
Did the cable this morning. As I can't work on vehicles at my house (HOA) I drove the TB to my work and did it there! Elapsed time with cleaning everything before re assembly is an hour and a half! Hardest was the console removal (I knew that) and geting the cable out and in under the carpet.
Discovered that there must be a leak somewhere as the carpet wasn't wet but the padding was soaked! (next to fix that problem)
The Chilton manual I got gave me a lot of good info and some pretty clear photos altghough little things arn't clearly explained sometimes.
Anyone doing this job, if you have any experience at all will find it pretty darn easy. One of the hardest things was to disconnect the power plug inside the console in order to completely remove it.

Bruce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.