Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

seatbelt chimes?i know i know

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  chunn7 
#1 ·
i know this topic has been beaten to death but.....i absolutely hate those seatbelt chimes.mine are way loud even turned down.dont bother telling me just to wear my seatbelt because i dont want to.its a free world and all. i figured that when you hook up the seatbelt it just grounds the wire and off goes the lights and chime. well,i cut the two wires going to the seatbelt socket and wired them together but it still chimes. i touched them to the seat and it still chimes. any other ideas?

p.s. if it makes anyone feel better,i ALWAYS wear my motorcycle helmet even if im going 100 ft down the road.

#3 ·
i agree with bowtie.i wasnt trying to raise a ruckus with wearing the belt. hey its a preferance. everyone SHOULD wear a seatbelt and its the law,i just dont like them.ill rely on my airbag.hey,i may wear a seatbelt on a trip then get out of my vehicle just in time for an airplane to crash on top of me. im not going to worry about it my whole life.
Yep, it's a risk that you take. As far as getting rid of the chimes, yes, removing your factory stereo and getting an aftermarket would do the trick. You would also lose door chimes that alert you when a door is open. For those of us would like to retain the chimes, we have to blow 84 dollars on a piece of plastic and circuitry that retains it. Kind of ridiculous.

#4 ·
IMO, I think everyone should be wearing their seatbelts, although I'll admit I've not worn mine when I went a few blocks.

To disable the seatbelt chime, just plug your seatbelt in and set in your seat.

Another way, (and it's free BTW), is to go to your GM dealer and request seatbelt extenders. They come in 9" or 15". Plug it in and forget about the chime!

I haven't done it, but I suppose you could cut the belt off and just use the metal part. Originally, I got the seatbelt extenders because of the passenger child restraint seat; however, I love them because they turn off the chime, it's easier to buckle the seatbelt, and the seatbelt now does not cut into my neck.

#6 ·
i bought my 04 used, and the previous owner must have done something to kill the seatbelt chime, because mine don't make any noise. the door open chime is still there, and i have the stock radio. i'm not complaining mind you, just letting you know it can be done somehow. and there isn't anything stuck into the seatbelt part. the belt works perfectly.

#8 ·
I don't like chimes either but at least it's not a continuous thing like some vehicles.

One thing you should consider is that the air bag deployment behaves differently depending on the state of the seat belts. If it thinks you're belted in and you're not, you won't get the level of protection you expect from the air bag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.