Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Fat Guys and Tall guys seatbelt issues

10K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  vagrant 
#1 ·
I dunno if its just me, but does anyone else's seatbelt wrap around their neck? I'm specifically asking some fat guys out there.....I can't find any way to adjust these things and I think if I were to get in an accident, the way the seatbelt goes around my neck, I'd be better off without it (not really, but I am concerned). Anyone use seatbelt extenders? Would this solve the problem?

#2 ·
I'm with ya (both "big" and tall). The only thing I've done to make the belt "feel" better is to use one of the furry wraps where it rides on my shoulder/neck. These seat-attached belts are bad for us guys. I've got the extenders on order from the dealer, but mostly because the passenger side locks up on my wife nearly every time she's in the car. Another thread says that they solve that problem. I'll wait and see.

#3 ·
The 9" extender moves the buckle to the left, for the driver, & changes the angle that the shoulder strap crosses hour chest. They are free! You can test whether it will work for you by holding the buckle about 9" from being connected & see if it solves your problem. I had the same complaint & the extension works for me. I am a bit concerned about how effective the shoulder strap would be in an accident, as it does not cross the middle of my chest.

#5 ·
Wasn't 20 min into the drive home after buying my TB that I was cursing the seat belt cutting into my neck and collar bone. Seems to me the spring tensioner mechanism is too tight. GM offered zero resolution after repeatedly complaining about it. So... I took care of that with a seat belt clip similar to this.. http://www.comfortableseatbeltclip.com/

I adjust it so there is about 1 inch of space between me and the belt. Problem solved. If used just to take the tension off the belt acoss your shoulder with minimum slack, there should be little if any efffect on the safety value of the belt.

#8 ·
They are free at the dealership. Go to the parts dept of any GM dealership. They may ask for the VIN of your vehicle, and some may require you to fill out a waiver that says you understand extenders are not as safe in some types of accidents, or some nonsense like that.

But, if the belts are that uncomfortable......why did you buy the vehicle? Since the insurance cartel has coerced the government into legislating my safety, the seat belt is the first thing I try out......

#9 ·
But, if the belts are that uncomfortable......why did you buy the vehicle? Since the insurance cartel has coerced the government into legislating my safety, the seat belt is the first thing I try out......

In my case I didn't notice it because I was wearing a jacket first time I drove my TB. That wouldn't have kept me from buying it anyway because there is almost always a way to fix a shortcoming lke that. I bought it in Ok City 200 mi N of where I am, in Dallas. On the drive home after about 30 min with my jacket off and T-shirt is whan I noticed how the edge of the belt was darn near cutting into the skin on my neck and collar bone! Other vehicles I have or had came with belt tension mechanisms you can pull quick and release to lock in place with a little slack for comfort.

#11 ·
Well, I'd never buy a car or not buy a car based on the seat belt. THAT can be changed or modded real easy. I liked my TB from the minute I got into it. Its exactly what I wanted....every possible option from 2002, now it has NAV. I loved everything about it including the color inside and out. I couldn't NOT buy it cuz the seat belt is a bit weird. I'll try my dealership for the free extender!

#12 ·
I'm not saying "buy or don't buy" because of the seatbelt. I'm simply saying that when I invest several thousand dollars in a vehicle, I like to make sure that I am comfortable in the vehicle. Yes, there are simple mods to make the seatbelt more comfortable. But, unless you are very large around the middle, 9 extra inches puts the shoulder strap in a position that is not as effective at keeping your upper torso restrained in some collisions. Luckily, we still have enough freedom to make this choice. As the use of seatbelt extenders proliferates, and people ar involved in more accidents and are injured, I guarantee insurance companies will make the use of them illegal.

#13 ·
Well, then I think it would be time that automakers realize that fat people buy their cars too. I have found that taller people are getting the shaft as well. I tried out a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and almost knocked myself unconcious getting in. I found that they lowered the entry height 1 inch!! doesn't sound like much, but it is! I specifically stayed away from that car because of that issue. Jeep probably doesn't care, but I won't even look at a Jeep now because of that...It's sad that I have to buy a bigger car and spend more in gas just to fit into it comfortably. Could deduct that automobile manufacturers are contributing to global warming, wasted fuel, and wasted energy because the only cars I fit in comfortably are larger cars so thats what I have to drive at 17 mpg instead of 30 mpg like a lot of people? :m2:

#18 ·
the seat belt extender is free becsause it has to do with safty we have 6 of them mom and dad are big so the yukon has 2 and they like to drive my envoy so it has 2 and they orderd 2 more for when they get the new car. they hock up where the seat belt does so it not really a big deal only reason i use one is becacuse the seat belt digs into my shoulder blade when i am wearing something thicker like a coat. and for the tall part i am big and tall about 6ft1 and did not notice i had only like a inch above my head when i was driveing the envoy home and toke a drink of water and the bottal hit the headliner. think the only reason why i only have a nich is becasue i have the sunroof and the liner looks thinker on the ones with it.

#19 ·
I needed one, as the belt digs into my neck. Local dealership ordered the wrong 9" one and then said all they could find was a 15" extender. (sigh)

Then the parts guy started to tell me that it wasn't safe as it would dig into my abdomen in a collision. (Oh yeah...) So, to have some fun, I asked him what seat belt wouldn't go across my abdomen. Of course he didn't realize he wasn't making sense at that point and continued to say that the belt buckle would be in a different spot. (Wow...I'm glad I don't need more parts/advice from this guy.) Another parts guy stepped in, realizing the problem with brainiac, and said he would call me after researching further. Unfortunately, the guy that stepped in was the person who ordered the wrong one in the first place.

Anyways, I did my own research and found the part number, called them and told them to order two.

Part #12533459
9" belt extender

If they say something about it being a "back seat extender" and not sure it will work, just tell them to order it. In fact, order two, so you have an extra.

I thought this might just be one dealership, but the other one in town told me that only the 15" extender was all that would work with my 2004 TB. I hope this helps whomever reads it.

Attachments

#21 ·
I worked at GM on the GMT 360/370. The "All belts to seat" belt system is a superior harness system from a safety stand point than anything else on the market short of the Ingnitor fired harness systems on Mercedes and Lexuses.

I observed a 40 MPH sled test that compared a traditional shoulder harness system (u know those annoying b pillar mounted hooks for the shoulder harness) with a "all belts to seat system (cost GM $300 / truck for the system)

In the traditional b pillar mounted harness system @ 40 mph when the sled stopped dead the crash dummy showed evidence of a broken pelvis (lifethreatening).

At 40 MPH with the "All belts to seat" the dummy suffered no evidence of bodily damage.

Al this has to do with the angle that the b pillar mounted system makes with the shoulder and the additional slack in the system that causes the rotational forces to put the skelleton in torsion literally snapping the torso.

Bottom line is that for the 95th percentime male and female all belts to seat are the superior system, far safer than the traditional system.

I guess I never gave it a thought that these belts would be uncomfortable for tall or big people. Anyways its mostly a mute point now. Although "all belts to seat" was slated to used in every GM vehicle by 2005, the extra cost resulted in their cancellation on all vehicles except Cadillacs..I think. Sad $ over safety.

The sled test converted me...I never drive avehicle without a secured safety belt and shoulder harness. Need the pelvis u know!

#22 ·
Question from a new 2008 TB owner (and I LOVE it BTW).

How does the belt extender work? From the driver's side point-of-view, which side (left or right) has the extender permanently attached? Is it permanent? Is the release mechanism on the extender identical to the one attached to the right of the seat?

Also, I purchased the truck from a Ford lot (10K miles used). Would I need to find a Chevy dealer to order the extenders or could the local lot do it?

#23 ·
It is not permanent. You can buckle/unbuckle on either end. Also, as far as I know, you would have to go to through the dealership, but they are free. You can just use the Chevy web site and locate a dealer by putting in your zip code. I'd call first as well, in case they have to order it. http://www.chevrolet.com/

Now that I've had the extender for a day, I must say it is nice not having it cut into my neck, yet it still provides cross body coverage. The TB is a bit getting used to after driving a Mercedes.

Here's a generic image of an extender to get a better understanding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.