Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

P0496 and Won't Start after Getting Gas!!

48K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Valentine808s 
#1 ·
Guys,
The past two times my wife has filled up with gas, the car has been extremely hard to start, requiring 20 seconds of cranking and finally putting her foot on the gas. It then runs erratically for the first minute or so. After that, it runs fine until time to put more fuel in it. Two mornings ago the CEL came on and Autozone pulled a code P0496. This has to do with the EVAP system. They cleared the code and it stayed off for 24 hours before coming back on. After several searches, I came across some threads talking about a PURGE VENT SOLENOID and a CANISTER VENT VALVE. I believe the canister vent valve is on top of the fuel tank, and the purge vent solenoid is attached to the driver's side of the motor. I would like to buy this locally, but RockAuto has AC Delco part #'s listed for each. Any part #'s from O'reilly's or Autozone would be helpful.

Post #4

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=37985&highlight=purge+valve+solenoid

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I don't want to go replacing parts that are perfectly fine. Would anyone mind explaining how to bench test a solenoid to see if it is working or not?

Thanks,
Ryan:thx

See less See more
#4 ·
Followup

Guys,
Replaced the canister vent solenoid that is located next to the motor on the driver's side and all is good. Filled the Rainier up and it started immediately afterwards. Interesting thing is that the factory part was a Delphi component, and the BWD (Borg Warner) and AC Delco part were exactly the same Delphi model number. This part obviously goes by many different names and part numbers.

Thanks for everyone's input!

#6 ·
I am currently having this same problem. I am getting the P0496 code. Just to make sure I am replacing the right part...

On start up (morning) the engine sputters then alittle black smoke once the vacuum comes on then it runs fine.. This also happens at every fill.

My question is: Is the part I need to replace called the EVAP purge valve/control solenoid??? Is that also know as the Canister vent solenoid and the canister purge solenoid? I am reading all these post and I keep seeing different people using different terms here.. I just want to make sure I buy the right thing.. Any help would be helpful

Semper Fi

#7 ·
So I bought the Canister Purge Solenoid (2-28245) put the part on last night went and started the TB this morning and everything went well.. so far no check engine light so it looks like it may be fixed.. Just wanted to say Thank God for this web site it has saved me so much money and time....

#8 ·
So when you install new parts does the code clear right away or is there a time period it will clear the check engine light itself?????

I replaced the Valve in the Engine bay and Check engine Light is still on...

Thanks for all your info and Thanks in Advance for response..

George

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.