Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

How to: Replace blower resistor pack replacement WITH PICS!

Tags
how to
771K views 755 replies 423 participants last post by  tblsfan 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I had a shot blower resistor pack (no 1,2 or 3 speeds on the blower) so I ordered a replacement unit. It arrived today and I put it in just now. I looked around and did not see a "how to" on it, so maybe this will help some others.

Vehicle 2002 Trailblazer LS - no automatic temp controls

Time spent: about 20 minutes (spent time getting the right stuff from the garage :) ).

Part: blower motor resistor (I used parts4chevys.com so I used the drill down menu to find it, sorry I do not have the PN handy)

Tools:
7mm socket or nut driver
7/32" socket or nut driver
one long screw driver (flat blade) - optional
flash light - optional

step one: locate the two 7mm screws holding the plastic kick plate under the passenger side dash, remove them, and then carefully remove the plastic cover

step 2: look up under there and you can see the old resistor pack. It has one connector and a pair of wires going from it. Unscrew the two 7/32" screws and it will come down, unclip the wire harness

step 3: open the glovebox and empty it, now release the catch so that it can hang down

step 4: locate the end of the wires that came from the resistor pack, they are plugged into the blower, release the clip and remove them (I used a screw driver to push in on the little clip to release it)

step 5: reverse the process and install the new one :)

here is the comparison of the two

hope that helps somebody....

From the Roadie: Since everybody looks in this post if they use a search, I'm just going to add the schematic HERE for one-stop shopping

Attachments

• 73.5 KB Views: 109,363
See less See more
#33 ·
Great instructions...Thanks!

I just wanted to thank you for posting the instructions and pictures for this repair. Because of you, this repair saved me a lot of money by doing it myself and only took a few minutes to complete. The Autozone a couple of blocks away from my house had the part here the next day and it was only $25.00. More than that, my wife thanks you because it is her car and almost 100 degrees outside. Thanks again!

#35 ·
I'm happy to report that I just finished this repair and the blower speeds are all working. Beeyotiful!

I purchased the new resistor from Autozone for $23.99 +tax. They didn't have it in stock, but ordered it from another store. I ordered it yesterday, picked it up at 4:07pm today. 10 minute ride home, a quick infusion of Mt. Dew, gathered my tools and installed it. Here it is, 5:00pm on the dot. The actual install, as reported, took about 15-20 minutes.

For future reference, the replacement part is made by Duralast.

Part # DR755

#38 ·
I ordered mine a couple of days ago from AC-Direct for $27.95 (ACDelco 15-81095), got it today and just installed it! My setting #1 wasn't working and now everything is working!! I never took it in b/c I thought it was going to be an expensive fix!!

Thank you for the write-up!! VERY VERY HELPFUL!!! :thumbsup: :thx

#39 ·
Could it be this part if the system works sometimes on all of the settings and sometimes on none of the settings? Before I bought the vehicle used, it didn't work on the #4 setting. They replaced something under the warranty it had right away. Now a few months down the line it stopped working completely, then during the same ride home it all of a sudden kicked on. It worked fine for a week now it won't work at all again?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

#40 ·
Usually when the pack dies you loose one speed at a time here and there, not all of them all of a sudden. It could be the harness that plugs into the pack (mentions of that in other posts in this thread) or the blower itself.

#41 ·
The dealership replaced the blower motor about 2 months ago. I brought the truck into them today to talk about the issue. They said they'd take a look at it on Monday. If it's the blower motor they aid they'll replace it no cost. If it's not they wanna charge me 90 an hr to diagnose then more for parts and labor. F-THEM! If they won't warranty it and it's only a few days out of warranty I'll take it up with the owner of the place.

I'm gonna have to read around on here some more before I get discouraged. I'd rather fix it myself anyways if it's not the blower motor. I'm not paying them to screw me.:suicide:

#42 ·
Thanks for an awesome post, it saved me a lot of time. I was able to do it without messing with the glove box at all. I also noticed that because of the way the screw holes line up, the replacement part (same as yours in the picture) actually installs the opposite direction of the original. I also noticed the one odd size nut driver I had in my whole craftsman set was the 5.5mm needed for this job!

#43 ·
Hi, I'm new here and i have a 05 trailblazer ls. My blower just stopped working the other day. If you turn the ac on u can here the ac engage and the heat too, but nothing blows out any vent. It won't work on any lvl 1-5. does this sound like I need to replace the resistor? How do you find out if that is the problem? I'm asking casue if I can fix it myself for cheaper I need too. My warranty wants $50 if its coverd, but if it's not I have to pay the shop $83+parts and labor. I read my warranty list and resistor is not on there. Please any help here.:confused:

#45 ·
This is what happened to me a few weeks ago. I could hear both trying to turn on but nothing would come out. It was the blower motor. This has happened to me twice now in the past 3 months:hopeless:suicide:
The service manager said it's just a crappy GM part and this may continue to happen.?. I hope not!!!

#46 ·
#49 ·
It probably is. It doesn't blow very hard back there anyways so it's probably comming from the front. I just want to know if its the blower or the resistor before I let them look at it. I want to know if my warranty covers it before they try to tell me it doesn't. If it's just a $30 part I'd rather fix it myself rather than pay a $50 deductable. How do you tell if it's the resistor or the motor?

#52 ·
Nvm, lol it stopped working now. This is stupid. Things like this shouldn't happen when it doesn't even have 49,000 miles on it. This should be a recall. It seems to me like Trailblazers should be recalled for alot of issues, but there is only one recall in effect. I am getting disheartned for chevy products becasue of this. So far I have had the light dim problem, it cut out on me once at a stop light, the blower problem, a battery problem. Also, when I accelerate sometimes it bogs back the revs back up and bogs back again like it won't shift or something. I have no idea what that one is Arggg. Sorry to rant on this fourm, I just needed to vent.

#53 ·
Just a heads up. Took it to the shop it was the resistor and a connector, and it was under my warranty. Works fine now. So the resistor can make it not work at all as well. Watch you wires if you are doinging it yourself they got mine crosses up and I had to go back. They had it where 1 was like 4 and backwards.

#55 ·
Replaced mine today as well. Nice write up, but i have another possible issue that i need opinion(s) on. The wire harness going into the resistor from vehicle was a little toasted, nothing bad but toasted none the less. Speed 5 now works which it didn't before, but should i replace the wiring harness and not use speed 5 till i do so, or use speed 5 and get wiring harness replaced asap, or not worry about it ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.