Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Rear Climate Control Problem

19K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  the roadie 
#1 ·
Hello all. This is my first post. I recently bought a 2004 Trailblazer LT. My rear climate controls do not seem to be working. When i press any button, whether it be fan, mode, or temp it only blinks at me and does not allow me to change anything. My manual says something about the "R" button has to be turned ON. I have no idea what this is. Can anyone help me out. It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

#2 ·
Your controls might be a little different from mine since yours is an LT. You should have a knob just to the left of the gear shifter that has R, 0, 1, 2, and 3 on it. This allows you to control the fan speed of the rear HVAC from the front. To grant controls to the rear, the knob has to be set to R. Hope that helps some.

#5 ·
When I bought mine last May, the rear AC was on speed 2, which was fine cuz it was hot during the day. When I was out at night, I wanted to cruise with the windows down, but the AC was still on. It took me a week to figure out how to turn it off :bonk:

I haven't heard of temperature differences between the 2nd and 3rd rows, although I've never been near the rear vents when the blower was on. When I was researching another issue I was dealing with, I saw a couple of threads where people said it took a while for the rear HVAC to heat up to the same temps as the front. I was going to try and put that to the test, but our weather down here is back to normal. :woot:

#10 ·
Welcome! If you get good engine coolant flow to the rear heater core, it sounds like a rear temp actuator. Run a search, but it's easy to see in my drawing here.

It may also be clogged coolant flow. Feel the hoses if you can when you get the rear HVAC system cover off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.