Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Power Steering Pump/Pulley

22K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  xhondastyle07x 
#1 ·
I have an extremely high pitch squeal coming from under the hood, mainly on cold mornings. It is loud enough to wake the dead :eek:....anyway, it will squeal when cold, then once the engine warms up it goes away. The squeal is directly tied to RPMs. By listening, I could tell it was coming from the passenger side of the engine, so I replaced the tensioner pulley thinking bad bearing. Wrong. That brings me to believe it is the power steering since it is the only other candidate close by. FYI - I replaced water pump and serp belt approx. 10K ago. so I doubt those are the cause. Is there anything on the power steering pump pulley bearing wise that would cause it to squeal? The pump itself works great and I have yet to experience any steering issues. It does not whine hardly at all, given I have 115K on my ride. I would rather just replace the pulley on the pump and not the whole unit if that could eliminate my squeal. Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
have you totally eliminated the belt? YOu say its about 10K old....
but just to really eliminate it, spray some water on it with an old windex bottle spray.. see if the squeel goes away.
if not, then spray some wate in the power steerings moving parts...(external of course)

#6 ·
I have an extremely high pitch squeal coming from under the hood, mainly on cold mornings. It is loud enough to wake the dead :eek:....anyway, it will squeal when cold, then once the engine warms up it goes away. Thanks in advance!
have you totally eliminated the belt? YOu say its about 10K old....
but just to really eliminate it, spray some water on it with an old windex bottle spray.. see if the squeel goes away.
if not, then spray some wate in the power steerings moving parts...(external of course)
Sorry to bring this up but I'm having this same exact problem. I have sprayed water on the power steering pulley? (top left pulley) and the squeal goes away. Any ideas how to go about fixing that?

#7 ·
I had it one time after replacing my PS pump. I was forced to pull off the pulley and press it on the new pump.

When i did a testrun later i got the terrible screecing noise at one or two occasions and im sure it was the pulley rotating on the pump axle.
Never heard it since then.

By the way, the new pump is also making whining noise, a little less but still there:sadcry:

#12 ·
Why would I go to the dealer and have them charge me hundreds of dollars when I have a great group of people here to help? I wish you would focus on helping us with the faulty sending unit problem though. I have the problem narrowed down but cannot locate a pulley to purchase.

#15 ·
So I found a pump with 2 miles on it with pulley and reservoir. I am going to replace the whole unit. I believe the reman unit I put in has a problem with it. The chirping noise is too annoying for me on cold starts. I am also replacing the belt with a Goodyear Gatorback but need to know the standard length for ext model with inline 6. They list 90.5, 91.0, and 91.5. I'm inside and dont feel like pulling the belt to measure right now if possible.

#16 · (Edited)
My Envoy chirps at idle. Not bad enough for me to warrant replacing anything at this time. It goes away for awhile if I spray water on it. I've loosened the belt and the idler and tensioner pulleys appear to turn freely and no excessive play. I replaced my OE belt with a Gatorback about 25000 miles ago so not sure it will be a long-term solution for you.
Seems like I recall the Ext takes the shorter belt but maybe others can chime in. You may be able to read the info on your OE belt without removing to measure. Often the printing is long lasting and still can be read. For what it's worth I stored the OE belt under the hood as a spare. Probably never need it but it's there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.