Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

How to change transfer case fluid

89K views 100 replies 43 participants last post by  Loverotties 
#1 · (Edited)
I know I know, there has been lots of post on how to change the transfer case fluid. However, I have been searching, and looking for about 20 mins and I can not find any posts on how to do this.:sadcry:

So can anyone point me to the post/thread where there is step by step directions or pictures on how to do this. :thx

#77 ·
I thought I was prepared for it... My head was well out of the way but the oil pan was no where near where the trajectory took the oil. I managed to catch exactly half of it. Two quarts enter, one quart leaves...

Thanks everyone! This one was super easy. The pump from harbor freight was perfect even for a one person job. I was able to stick a few inches into the tank and slide out to prop the bottle between my knees and have both hands free to work the pump.

#59 ·
standard or metric

Sometimes having a socket that is slightly bigger or smaller can come in handy when dealing with damaged fasteners(rusted or stripped).That is were having both standard and metric sockets come in handy. To convert from one to another here is the formula. inches X 25.4 = millimeters,millimeters X 0.0394 = inches. ie. 3/8(.375) X 25.4=9.525mm
ie. 10mm X 0.0394 = 0.394 inches

Or you can do the old trial and error method to see what fits.:undecided

#60 ·
Just finished mine. What a piece of cake. I was surprised how dark it was compared to how seldom we use the four-wheel-drive. Usually just the auto mode for bad weather.

Front differential done and it's break time before doing the rear. As a note, I was surprised that the fill plug for the front was only finger tight. The drain plug was easy as well. Actually, the transfer case plugs were simple to.

#61 ·
Usually just the auto mode for bad weather.
If the darkness in the fluid is from the clutch plates, AUTO mode is much more of a cause than running in 4HI, where there is no slippage. A4WD mode is deprecated because of this, plus for pre-2005 vehicles the banging force of engaging the clutches in A4WD puts a weak bearing mount at risk inside the transfer case.

#62 ·
Thanks for the good information.

The rear is now done also. The plug was snug, but the real tough ones were the ones to the diff cover.

The best part was the score I had at Auto Zone. Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil was marked $17.99, but was on sale for $8.99 a quart. :D The dealer had the Auto Trak II marked at $8.95 as it should have been.

#64 ·
The Auto Track II comes in 1 liter bottles (almost 34 oz.), so 1.75 liters. is a little over 1.8 qts.

As long as the level in the t-case is OK, your good to go.

My owners manual says
"All capacities are approximate" :m2:

#69 ·
A T55 Torx socket will work on these plugs, too. My Craftsman set didn't come with a 10 mm Allen wrench (only up to 8 mm), so I had to improvise.

The service manual lists the approximate capacity at 1.8 L or 2 qts, so you should have some fluid left over (6-7 oz or so).

#73 ·
Thanks for the great Howto

All,

Thanks for the great tips on changing the transfer case fluid. I have a 2004 Buick Rainier AWD with approx 145000 miles, and over the last few days, the truck started to have drivetrain issues. I admit I have been a poor parent to the transfer, differential, and transmission, so they have been neglected.

The symptom I started to see was a "binding" in the drivetrain when I made a slow turn - i.e turning into my driveway, turning into a park spot -- to the point that the truck almost came to a stop by itself. If I reversed, straightened the wheel, and went in drive again, I am able to move forward, albeit with hesitation.

Before sending the truck to the transmission doctor, I wanted to try the cheaper repairs - replacing fluids, etc. However, after replacing transfer case fluid, no change in behavior. Next step will be front differential and perhaps DIY transmission (but that one worries me).

Regardless - I just wanted to thank everyone on the board for their tips and tricks for maintaining their trucks. You are awesome!

Thanks!!

#74 ·
All,

Thanks for the great tips on changing the transfer case fluid. I have a 2004 Buick Rainier AWD with approx 145000 miles, and over the last few days, the truck started to have drivetrain issues. I admit I have been a poor parent to the transfer, differential, and transmission, so they have been neglected.

The symptom I started to see was a "binding" in the drivetrain when I made a slow turn - i.e turning into my driveway, turning into a park spot -- to the point that the truck almost came to a stop by itself. If I reversed, straightened the wheel, and went in drive again, I am able to move forward, albeit with hesitation.

Before sending the truck to the transmission doctor, I wanted to try the cheaper repairs - replacing fluids, etc. However, after replacing transfer case fluid, no change in behavior. Next step will be front differential and perhaps DIY transmission (but that one worries me).

Regardless - I just wanted to thank everyone on the board for their tips and tricks for maintaining their trucks. You are awesome!

Thanks!!

Just follow the schedule in your owners manual.

#79 ·
May I add a THANK YOU! :tiphat Goes for everyone on this thread. I never been an auto guy, till I bought my TB and joined this forum. I've learned so much from everyone and I have become much more savvy under the hood of my TB. I ordered the pump form Harbor Freight and picking up the Trak II tomorrow. Should have time to get it done this Saturday...Pictures Hopefully ;)

P.s. It's to bad I cannot say the same thing about the guys/gals on the GSXR forum :weird:

#80 ·
Just finished changing my Transfer Case fluid with 2 Qrts. of the Auto TracII stuff...Also did my front differential w/ 1 Qrt of 75-W90 Royal Purple Gear-Oil. Still waiting on my two Qrts. to come in so I can do my rear differential. Real easy job all around, took all but 45 mins. to do both. All caps and plugs came of easily and I applied some anti-seize before putting them back on to ensure they come off again down the road as I do plan on keeping my TB till it goes belly up. My advice to anyone scared to tackle this job is it was as easy as pouring gas almost...just hopefully everything loosens up for you :m2:

Attachments

#86 ·
I just stuck mine back in there. Don't crank them down with a few hundred pounds of torque :p just snug them up.

Remember, the hex size is 10mm and NOT 3/8 like mentioned in the original post. 3/8 can round out your fill plug hole if it is really tight (mine was). 10mm hex fits perfectly.

#94 ·
Got mine done.

Piece of cake, after I finally got the fill plug off and cleaned up the whole bottle of new fluid I spilled on the garage floor, and then ran back to the dealer just before closing on Saturday to get the third bottle, last week.

Like I said piece of cake. Old Fluid looked blue still, but only had a little over 50,000 and little 4WD use.

I used the $3.37 syringe from WALMART, in the automotive section. Comes with a small piece of hose, didn't spell a drop, well with the syringe that is!

#95 ·
In some other thread, Roadie pointed out that transfer case fluid is a 50k mile maintenance item. I did a double take. Now at 121k :eek:, I guess I should change it twice this weekend to catch up. :D

Installed and filled a 96 'sploder TC last month. Guess its time for a pump ... and a kiddie swimming pool as a catch basin.

#96 ·
Im going to change fluids i transfer case and front diff soon this thread i great!
Did the rear diff yesterday and is was a real pain in the ***.... took me 3 hours the fill plug was all seized up and could not get it out!!!
Car has 230000km on it and i have driven 70000km the fill plug was a bit rounded when i started on so i dont think the previous owner changed oil there either so i just had do do it, ended up taking the cover of and driller a hole and welded a 3/8" nut on there and a new plug.
I really hope the front and transfer case plugs will come out easier. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.